What feedback should I leave this seller?

lpede5
Community Member

I have just bought a 50 game PS3 bundle. I asked what condition the games were in, and he said that they were in a pretty good condition. I have just received the bundle today and found out that he didn't disclose that he was a smoker. So basically every single game has a smokey scent to it. This has annoyed me since I specifically asked what condition they were in, I would expect the seller to let me know if he was a smoker, as it affects the condition of the game and case overall.

He shipped the item quickly, but packed it pretty dodgy, using tea towels and an environmentally friendly bag on the top of the games for protection. I was planning to re-sell some of these games, so i suspect that the smokey smell might make the games worth less.

Some advice on what feedback to leave would be appreciated, I am leaning towards neutral, with the comments being fast shipping, but that he did not close the smell.

Cheers

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: What feedback should I leave this seller?

f/backs are there to reflect buyer's expression of their experience in that deal.

if i got a purchase that stank of smoke, like hell i'd leave positive feedback.

Message 21 of 28
Latest reply

protect*the*innocent
Community Member

If I were in your shoes, ipede, I would leave a positive feedback becaue the items arrived as described and were posted quickly .. plus the seller communicated well.

Seriously, if you buy second hand on eBay expect smells.  Also acknowledge that your sense of smell might differ greatly to the average person ... what 'stinks' to you might be just a light odour to someone else.

I used to buy bulk games on ebay to resell as well and expected smells, stickers, marks on the cases etc   What I cared about was whether the case and sleeves were present and whether the case and disc was in good condition or not.    I spent a lot of time cleaning the cases and removing unnecessary stickers using 'orange power' (sticky spot & goo remover) -- the orange power left a citrus smell which counteracted any other smells that might be present.

Message 22 of 28
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Buy some Nilodor from the chemist or supermarket and put a few drops on a tissue or similar. Put all the smoky items in a sealed container with the Nilodor and leave for a few hours initially. If the smell remains, try again for a longer period.

Do not put the Nilodor direct onto the items as it can mark (it is a bit greasy) and you may find that the smell is even worse than the smoky smell.

It is very potent, but used correctly will deodorise anything.

When we were painting some years ago I used to put a few drops on a saucer in the middle of the room and close the door overnight. By morning there was no new paint smell.

Message 23 of 28
Latest reply

On the other hand the seller could take you to the discrimination commission if you left negative feedback, then you would be in a world of hurt.

Would you leave negative feedback if the games came from an Indian house and they smelled of curry spices?

Would you leave negative feedback if the games smelled like mothballs?

Would you leave negative feedback if the games came from a mechanics/painters house/garage and smelled like turps etc?

If the games came from an Italian house and smelled like garlic would you leave bad feedback?

Give them a break-selling on ebay these days is not easy and these little things turn people off selling here-no sellers means no buyers and in the end no ebay.

I know it's not really pleasant but an old painters trick to soak up smells is to leave a cut onion in a room or put the games in a box with an onion

Message 24 of 28
Latest reply

To protect themselves sellers should state that items are BEING SOLD IN AN UNSMELLED CONDITION-THEY MAY OR MAY NOT SMELL

Message 25 of 28
Latest reply

bimberi - at least then they would have a varation of odours to complain about :_D

Personally, while cigarette smoke is not a nice odour, I doubt it would bother me unless the items were clothing, childrens or baby products like soft toys, any other 'hard cover' type item, I think I could live with. Great tips though for 'odour removal' cheers all.

If you are around 'supernova' did you ever get the smell of smoke out of your beads??? If so, what worked best? Sorry, don't mean to hijack a thread, just interested.

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 26 of 28
Latest reply

Was referring to your onion idea, sorry didn't see your last post bimberri

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 27 of 28
Latest reply

Would you leave negative feedback if the games came from an Indian house and they smelled of curry spices?

Would you leave negative feedback if the games smelled like mothballs?

Would you leave negative feedback if the games came from a mechanics/painters house/garage and smelled like turps etc?

If the games came from an Italian house and smelled like garlic would you leave bad feedback?

yeh, i would.

person buys on ebay, they can't physically inspect the thing for any/all detail that differentiate it from an item,  bought in person.   therefore, ebay buyers 'ave to rely on the honesty of the seller to faithfully describe everything that makes it diffo. from a new item. (we 'aven't progressed to ebay-scratch-n-smell just yet). lol.     honesty-in-descriptions include odours like mould, stickiness, watermarks, etcetera.

Message 28 of 28
Latest reply