When is a new computer actually new on ebay?

I recently purchased a 'new' laptop from an ebay seller only to find this was not true. It was refurbished: did not come in original packaging, warranty had already been enacted and then voided. After some argy bargy with the seller, I did return it and get a refund.

Since then, I have looked to other sellers, but find they use the same types of language when I ask questions. In particular, the warrany is given by the seller, not the manufacturer.

Now I am thinking that any ebay seller who what appears to have a good price is actually selling used (refurbished) products.

Those who do state the computer has a manufacturer's warranty are generally more expensive than buying direct from Dell, HP, Lenovo etc, when like for like.

I have contacted CS about this but the level of interest was zero. 

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I'm assuming that you're an experienced ebayer going by the feedback score and the number of years you've been on ebay?

So why the hell did you buy any kind of computerised item off ebay?

You always buy it from the manufacturer or their suppliers eg B&M store where you will receive a warranty and obviously a new laptop.

Warranty on these goods purchased on ebay are non existent lol.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

In earlier days would you have purchased your new tv and video player in the classified newspaper ?

Probably not. You would have gone to a store that gives you a warranty.

Treat eBay as being an advertising media where others list their goods. Caveat emptor.

You don't buy from eBay, it is only a computerised site that marries buyers and sellers.

Many think they are buying from eBay, the big company but it's not so.

image host
Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

The trouble I have had is that the laptops I am after are rarely available at B&M stores. Stupid Eh?

Nothing really flash but with certain fetures like a full keyboard.

And I am a little over Harvey Norman and JB offering bottom of the range, 2 y o models.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

The computer was,and still is, advertised as brand new, with all that entails, with 12 month warranty.

What I didn't pick up,in the description, was that the warranty didn't expressly mention manufacturer.

If I could go to stores to check out my favourites, I would.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

try office works if you got one close by. same laptop for $10 cheaper at hn so i went back to ow and they matched the price and beat it by 5% and gave me an extra year of warranty free.

pc's,laptop's, dont buy fron greedbay.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

There are Australian stores with an excellent range of computers, laptops, etc. You can even phone these stores and get specific advice and recommendations if you're not close enough to drop by and look at the laptops that might interest you. (That's also helpful if you're housebound, etc.)

Scorptec, Center Com, Dell, Asus (Aus), etc... Bing Lee sell on eBay, and so do Kogan/Dick Smith (both more general than focusing primarily on computers/laptops). Make sure that the seller dispays an ABN. You want an Australian authorised dealer/reseller, not just an Australian seller on eBay not listed by the manufacturer as being an authorised dealer for the manufacturer.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply