When is a refund not a refund? When PayPal has its way

Surely thought they would have fixed this loophole by now but no.....

Pay with PayPal in USD based on seller settings, get refunded and lose out getting back less than you paid because of exchange rate changes. 

Shouldn’t even come into it. Should be your original purchase amount refunded not 10% less. 

How would you react if the B&M store  went on sale and you were told you’d only get back the sale price not what you paid. 

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: When is a refund not a refund? When PayPal has its way

@letscleanupmycupboards wrote:

But doesn’t PayPal now also pocket the fees paid by the seller when a refund is processed?

Yep, and the seller pays higher fees if the transaction was international, regardless of the currency sent / received (or, at least they do here - it's been a while since I've read the US TOS for PayPal, but most of them mirror ours). 

It doesn't apply (to you) if you buy in AUD because your funds aren't being subject to a currency exchange. The seller is paying the currency exchange fees in that case, assuming that at some point, they convert the funds to their own currency - they may not, or at least they may hold a float of AUD to cover refunds and avoid multiple currency exchange charges, since PayPal accounts can hold balances it many different currencies (if I invoice someone in USD for example, I will  receive USD and it will become a separate balance to my AUD balance, I can spend it or convert it - cheaper to spend it). 

Some of these policies are so PayPal make more money, some of them are so they don't lose any, ultimately it means more $$ for them - corporations always start doing that sort of thing when they can't grow profits from getting new members, i.e. they look for ways to increase profit from existing members.

I'm not saying anyone has to like it or think it's "right", my post was more of a "this is the way it is, with the majority of financial institutions, and as far as I know, nothing about it is a breach of any regulations or laws". 

Message 11 of 12
Latest reply

Re: When is a refund not a refund? When PayPal has its way

This just happened to me also and I have been buying through ebay for over 10yrs and it has never happened before.

I pay $82.10 AUD for an item (from the UK), the seller says (less than 24hrs later) I don't have the item in stock do you want a refund, I say yes straight away and they give me $78.20 AUD refund.

I am closing my ebay account over this, it is ridiculous, I bet nobody ever gets refunded more than they paid due to the exchange rate!!!

I would email my disgust directly to ebay but apparently you can't do that anymore either!

Message 12 of 12
Latest reply