When is an Auction not an Auction?.

Hi, just theoretically won an auction, but...!
... The seller re listed the item.
It went like this. I bid on an item, and about 1hr before, the only bidder higher than me pulls out mysteriously. So, I get a Aw Bid change notice timed at that, saying I am now the highest bidder, congratulations!.
So, no one else bids hereafter, and yes, I won the item, but no further info or contact from the seller appears. I look today, and lo and behold, there the item is, relisted.
I guess they didn't get the price they wanted, but hey, it happened to me, $120 down on what I wanted for something I auctioned last year, but rules are rules, and the bidder got a nice new shiny item. I lost out, but kept to the rules.
I should have done it their way, and did a dodgy bid to see if I could be provoked into bidding more, but I set my limit, and didn't bite. Guess what, their phantom bidder retracted, and left me with the item, before the auction ended..... Or not!.
Beware bidders, it's not a real auction at times, or in this case, it appears not, even though it is ruled to be is my take.
Anyway, of course I contacted the seller, asked the obvious, and got told there are no bids on it yet..... Oopps, there is, and all invisible to the seller too!.
Contacted EBay, got a "we are investigating this.." pacification.
Item still up to be sold if they get what they want, with an invisible reserve!.
Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: When is an Auction not an Auction?.

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

How do you know that the seller does not have another item the same....many sellers will relist the same item after an auction has ended.

Have you checked in your Purchases to see if indeed you have won the item?

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Easy, apart from the same advert, the worldwide serial number is identical.
Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Oh, and the admittance it is the item from them.
Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

My purchases says no, but bidding history says I was the highest bidder.
Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Update. Seems it has now vanished from listings. I guess EBay staff are vigilant. If they ate reading this, here's my comment, nice one guys, certainly will save another innocent buyer from the same fate, well done.
However, the moral of the story is real.
In my dealings with EBay, the customer care side have always been helpful, and fair. Keep up the good work.
I suppose they can't see all the underhand listings, so, if anyone reading this spots a likely to be iffy listing, get on to EBay quick, and help keep the concept safe for all in the future.
Vive le EBay!. Keep to the rules, and enjoy safe shopping.
Message 6 of 6
Latest reply