When not included- international purchase charges can be quite a surprise - be warned.

At the time of purchase an item I bought was well below $1000 AU, though the PayPal exchange rate drove the price up.  The seller included FREE delivery, which I always find, is a pleasant bonus.  Imagine my surprise when as the item arrived in Australia, 'the Carrier' added the cost of postage to the purchase, to qualify for full import duty (GST and processing fees).  I asked for a break down of the fees-  it was explained that with the addition of express international postage, the item came to $1090, so $109 GST, then $88 Customs Processing fee, then $22 carrier fee for processing, then $2 fee for on line payment to bring a total of $222 fees.  1/4 the original purchase price was added on.  

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

When not included- international purchase charges can be quite a surprise - be warned.

Sorry- not asking for a solution. I have worn the extra charges, it is what it is. However, someone not financial is likely to loose their item when they fail to pay the extra. I will only buy items through eBay international post in future, I know what my charges will be then. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

What is the item number?

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

What is the item number and which carrier did they use?

Somebody recently posted here that Aramex wanted to charge them import duties for an item sent vie the GSP (and the GSP includes all import duties). Obviously your case is different, but don't let them charge what they shouldn't charge if it is their mistake.

Let us know the item number, then we can provide a better answer.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

It is DHL  delivering the item. There is usually import costs added at the time of purchase when using eBay global shipping; however, free shipping by passes this, plus the use of an independent courier company. There is no answer- the post is just a heads up to buyers.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Sorry- not asking for a solution. I have worn the extra charges, it is what it is. However, someone not financial is likely to loose their item when they fail to pay the extra. I will only buy items through eBay international post in future, I know what my charges will be then. 

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

@crazydropbear wrote:

There is usually import costs added at the time of purchase when using eBay global shipping; however, free shipping by passes this..............

Generally speaking, when sellers in the UK or USA say "free shipping" that only applies to postage within that country.

GSP shipping charges are outside the control of the seller, since Pitney Bowes/GSP charge their own postage rates from the GSP hub in that country.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 6 of 6
Latest reply