When will eBay crack down on fake stuff from China?

jvdv
Community Member

Of course this has been going on for years and there are probebly countless threads on the subject but ...

bought a "NETGEAR WN3000RP V3 N300" wifi range extender supposedly located in Melbourne and two weeks later an unbranded wifi extender arrives from (probebly) China. I did try and cancel the order monents after ordering it and after belatedly checking the seller's feedback but had a reply saying it had been sent.

Raised a dispute and the seller replied quickly advising I could either return the product at my expense or they would give a partial refund of $15.00 (paid $22.00 for the item). Of course given the cost of returning it would outweigh the difference I accepted the refund - and left a neg feedback.

However why do buyer's have to put up with this endless misrepresentation particulaarly from Chinese sellers? Perhaps eBay firgures that, in $$$ terms, it's better for them to leave things as they are.

No doubt REMOVED who trades as REMOVED will continue on his / her merry way.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: When will eBay crack down on fake stuff from China?

As you say, feedback was checked belatedly.  Tis the first thing I look at and also where seller is registered.  In this case it is Hong Kong.  True some asian sellers do have warehousing in Aust but it is imperative you check where registered as a true guide.  I just looked at a couple of currant listings and postage is showing due some 3 weeks away.  I could walk from Melb to anywhere in that time.  If postage info on package shows Asian postmarks you can report as incorrect location.  However, ebay dont do a lot about it.  They get too much money from them.  It is up to buyer to do their due diligence.  Anything along the IT/electrical lines is better bought in a b&m in Australia.  That way you dont have the dramas.

Good luck

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Where is the problem?

You bought A and received B. So you file a item not as described and claim your money back.

Kudos for the red feedback you gave! There are too many BUYERS that still give good feedback just because they got their money back.

IMHO, any seller that misrepresents items or location intentionally should be banned right away. Too many false locations on eBay. Had that before, did a claim immidiately when I got the tracking number. Of course red feedback followed.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

This just jumped to my mind:

The item location was stated as 'Melbourne', right? They ask for return to China? Totally not acceptable!

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Why did you accept the partial refund?:

You had all the power in that transaction. You had only to open a dispute - on the basis of the item being significantly not as described - and upload a statutory declaration that the item was not a Netgear, but rather an unbranded fake. (Have stat dec witnessed by police.) Add also that the seller had false location on the listing. The seller is responsible for return postage of items not as described, so your comment that "the cost of returning it would outweight the difference", and the seller's threat that you would have to return at your expense, don't reflect the reality.

Acquaint yourself with eBay's Money Back Guarantee (MBG).

What happens if the seller doesn't respond or won't give me a refund?

Under eBay Money Back Guarantee, the seller usually has 3 business days to respond and offer a resolution to your issue. If you can't come to an agreement, you can ask us to step in and help. We'll review the details of your case and make a decision within 48 hours.

Further down:

When an item is returned

• The buyer is responsible for returning the item.
  • The buyer must return the item in the same condition in which it was received.
  • The seller is required to accept the return at their specified return address.
  • The cost of return postage is the seller's responsibility.
  • Signature confirmation is required for returns of items with a total cost of $750 or more.
  • The seller pays for any customs charges on the returned item.

After confirming that the item was returned to the seller, we will refund the full cost of the item and original postage to the buyer. If the seller hasn't facilitated the return – for example by providing a return postage label – we will also refund any reasonable return postage costs. When the buyer arranges delivery or picks up the item, we may not refund the cost of original postage or pickup.

We require the seller to reimburse us for the full refund amount. Return postage costs will be added to the seller's invoice separately if an eBay return label was used.

In some instances, we may not require that an item be returned to the seller. For example, we may refund the buyer and seek reimbursement from the seller if:

• The seller chooses not to accept a return request for a not as described item
  • The item location was misrepresented
  • It's hazardous to send back the item
  • The item no longer has a value.

You can see that you may not even have to return the item to the seller if the item location was misrepresented.

In future, don't let yourself be chivvied into believing this nonsense about return postage being your responsibility when the seller has been wrong all down the line - fake item, not as described, item location misrepresented. Open a claim, upload the information, get on the phone to eBay if you wish, and sort it out so that you're not out of pocket at all. A partial refund from a Chinese seller misrepresenting him/herself and his/her items just does not cut it, in my view.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

@jvdv wrote:

bought a "NETGEAR WN3000RP V3 N300" wifi range extender supposedly located in Melbourne and two weeks later an unbranded wifi extender arrives from (probebly) China.

In item specifics it does say Unbranded/Generic and the photos show a generic unit,(a Netgear item will have

their name on it).

Should've just started a dispute for not as desribed and asked for a postage return label with a Melbourne

address on it to send it back too,(then you would've received a full refund).

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

True, go-tazz - but there's definitely contradiction between that and the title: NETGEAR WN3000RP V3 N300 WiFi Range Extender Wireless Expander Booster Repeater.

The seller may think that by including the "unbranded/generic" information will get them out of hot water - but of course it won't, since they've clearly stated in the title that it's a Netgear.

That's also included in the description/;body of the listing, just under the balloon picture:

NETGEAR WN3000RP V3 N300 WiFi Range Extender Wireless Expander Booster Repeater

All in all, I can understand buyers overlooking the item specifics. It also seems that many buyers (especially when buying from their iPhone or iPad etc) are simply not looking at images.

And there it is - item misrepresentation:             Item location:Melbourne, Australia

99.1% feedback for a high-volume seller - too low for me to consider purchasing from him. (I consider 99.5% to be the minimum desirable feedback for a high-volume seller.)

Looking at the seller's feedback profile shows that yes, they're a Chinese seller. Member since: 06-May-14 in China

A quick look at the most recent negative feedback indicates what one can expect:

Negative feedback ratingArrived broken, was told would send new one - never received!
Negative feedback ratingNeedles not numbered, knobs at blunt end come off.
Negative feedback ratingThe pieces are broken
Negative feedback ratingSCAM! one mat missing, they did not resend the missing item.
Negative feedback ratingI was charged international transfer fee for something sent from Melbourne.
Negative feedback ratingNot genuine LG remote. 1st one arrived broken. Seller sent replacement.
Negative feedback ratingMisleading and dishonest listing. Advertised set of 100 pots and I received ONE!
Negative feedback ratingNever got parts Seller keep telling me to wait Was no help Didn’t fix the issue
Negative feedback ratingSe ha tardado mucho y al final no he recibido el articulo.
Negative feedback ratingNo me han llegado todavia
Negative feedback ratingNo me han llegado todavia
Negative feedback ratingThis is not an australian seller and the sheets are not australian size.
Negative feedback ratingProduct received was not the same as pictures that was advertised
Negative feedback ratingNo me a llegado el articulo y ya a pasado 5 días y no hay solución decepcionado
Negative feedback ratingno he recibido el articulo en todavia
Negative feedback ratingDescription says 2x, only got 1! Cover is way too small, no communication!
Negative feedback ratingBuyer beware!!!. Not a good experience with this seller. Not as described...
Negative feedback ratingNot happy with the product and it’s not the right size
Negative feedback ratingAfter finally receiving item from this “Aussie” seller, it arrives damaged.
Message 7 of 7
Latest reply