Why are postage costs to Australia so expensive ? They are absolutely prohibitive !

liver248
Community Member

Why ???

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Why are postage costs to Australia so expensive ? They are absolutely prohibitive !

As a seller in Australia I have no need to opt out of the GSP, as it is a US thing.

And if you want eBay to address your issue, you probably should contact eBay, not Australian members, which are all you will find on the boards.

You could possibly ask the seller to chase your item up, but the point at which you should be asking sellers to opt out of the GSP is BEFORE you buy.

Message 11 of 22
Latest reply

what i dont understand is that it can be cheaper to post a book from uk to australia than buy from an aussie seller?

Message 12 of 22
Latest reply

We use better quality carrier pidgeons here in Australia

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 13 of 22
Latest reply

Because Royal Mail subsidise postage as a means of increasing exports. And Australia Post gets paid a pittance to deliver them, and charges Australians higher postage to compensate for the shortfall.

Message 14 of 22
Latest reply

governments have found a way to charge a import tax without calling it a tax.. 😕

Message 15 of 22
Latest reply

Very helpful observation. Unfortunately untrue.

Google Universal Postage Obligation.

Message 16 of 22
Latest reply

"Because Royal Mail subsidise postage as a means of increasing exports. And Australia Post gets paid a pittance to deliver them, and charges Australians higher postage to compensate for the shortfall."

How does that work?

If I post a parcel to the US (1 -1.5 kgs) for approx $45 airmail, Aust Post transports it from my location to nearby Sydney. For the remainder of its journey is carried by a US postal service.

Aust Post recieves $45... Do they get to keep all that and it offsets the mail they deliver with overseas stamps on them?
Or
Do countries pay a set amount at regular intervals to other countries to deliver mail originating from their country?

I am wondering where the often read Aust Post delivers intl parcels for a $1 approx comes from.
Message 17 of 22
Latest reply

ipadclub
Community Member
I used to buy many parts from USA for car restoration but now with the outrageous postage pricing I buy NOTHING from there. The world doesnt owe USA . I buy elsewhere or go without.
Message 18 of 22
Latest reply

@ipadclub wrote:
I used to buy many parts from USA for car restoration but now with the outrageous postage pricing I buy NOTHING from there. The world doesnt owe USA . I buy elsewhere or go without.

Why did you have to drag up a 4 YEAR OLD thread ?????????????????

Please check posting dates next time.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 19 of 22
Latest reply

because postage costs are still high, and now this is a relevant 9 year old thread

Message 20 of 22
Latest reply