Why can sellers sell solar panels that have fake power output claims

I recently purchased solar panels on ebay and was shocked when I measured their output. The panels were 300w and the best output I could get (measured) was 150w. These panels are 0.97 square meters each. 

I did some research and was shocked that nearly all the panels on ebay lie about their power output. The best panels in the world are 23% efficient, most on ebay are around 17%. The best that these panels can produce is 170w per square meter. In my case the panels I bought theoretically produce 160w which is pretty close to what I measured.

If buying panels on ebay, do your research. Multiply the square meter area of the panel by 170 and you will get the best watts they will produce. As I had shortened the leads on my 2 panels I could not return them for a refund. I am totally upset that I paid for 600w of panels only to find they will only produce half of that. 

Sadly fake and fraudulent claims on products sold on ebay seem to becoming the norm than the exception. Its about time ebay cracked down on sellers that are breaking the law by selling products fraudulently that are totally misrepresented and bear little resemblence to the claims being made in the listings.

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Why can sellers sell solar panels that have fake power output claims

Like anything, buyer beware.

Do the research and buy from reputable retailers.

No such thing as a cheap quality product.

And stick to Australian made.

If I was going to buy solar then I would go to one of the big retailers, NOT eBay.

Too easy to set up an online account then disappear hence no need to sell quality products.

image host
Message 2 of 24
Latest reply

No way I would ever consider buying such a thing from a seller on eBay

Far,far too many risks

Message 3 of 24
Latest reply

@custom_cables wrote:

I recently purchased solar panels on ebay and was shocked when I measured their output. The panels were 300w and the best output I could get (measured) was 150w. These panels are 0.97 square meters each. 

I did some research and was shocked that nearly all the panels on ebay lie about their power output. The best panels in the world are 23% efficient, most on ebay are around 17%. The best that these panels can produce is 170w per square meter. In my case the panels I bought theoretically produce 160w which is pretty close to what I measured.

If buying panels on ebay, do your research. Multiply the square meter area of the panel by 170 and you will get the best watts they will produce. As I had shortened the leads on my 2 panels I could not return them for a refund. I am totally upset that I paid for 600w of panels only to find they will only produce half of that. 

Sadly fake and fraudulent claims on products sold on ebay seem to becoming the norm than the exception. Its about time ebay cracked down on sellers that are breaking the law by selling products fraudulently that are totally misrepresented and bear little resemblence to the claims being made in the listings.

The other thing too, if the output is that low then that's an indication of the quality. Their useful life will be a lot less than the good quality panels. That's sad. Sorry to hear that you didn't get what was advertised.

Message 4 of 24
Latest reply

From a recent ABC news article:

❝In Canberra, Dr Michelle McCann runs one of the few laboratories in Australia that conducts commercial testing for solar panels.

[...]

Dr McCann said some overseas manufacturers were sending poor-quality solar products to Australia, knowing they would not be checked.

“What we can conclude is that in some cases, unfortunately they know that we are not really checking the quality of what is coming into Australia always, and there are a lot of companies out there … some of them are cutting corners where they can to make extra money.”

She said Australia does not have a rigorous culture of testing imported solar products.

“When there's no expectation that your product will be checked, then there's a little bit more flexibility … to ship out the poorer-performing product that inevitably results from any production line.

“Australian consumers are notorious, and known overseas, for caring a lot about price and not caring about quality, and when that happens you get the cheaper product. And the cheaper product is not the better-performing product.”❞

Are we as Australians not embarrassed to have that reputation?

Until there are more people in Australia who care about the quality of what they purchase rather than grabbing the cheapest (and expecting to get something just as good as a brand that's been tested and approved and comes with warranty), this will probably continue. I wonder whether it's something to do with the well-known cynicism of the average Australian... Perhaps Australian consumers think that the higher price of verified and approved brands is a con and that they really can cut out the middleman to buy at a price that they think the item SHOULD cost.

Message 5 of 24
Latest reply

Perhaps Australian consumers think that the higher price of verified and approved brands is a con and that they really can cut out the middleman to buy at a price that they think the item SHOULD cost.

I think you are correct. But these boards are a microcosm proving that that attitude is rife. And delusionary.

Message 6 of 24
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:

Are we as Australians not embarrassed to have that reputation?

Until there are more people in Australia who care about the quality of what they purchase rather than grabbing the cheapest (and expecting to get something just as good as a brand that's been tested and approved and comes with warranty), this will probably continue. I wonder whether it's something to do with the well-known cynicism of the average Australian... Perhaps Australian consumers think that the higher price of verified and approved brands is a con and that they really can cut out the middleman to buy at a price that they think the item SHOULD cost.

I couldn't tell you how many times I've checked a Chinese seller's feedback and seen things like "really bad quality, only lasted 3 days" where they had bought a "gold" watch for $1. Or, they go on about how the $3 Rolex is a fake. Really? People are idiots. If it's on the internet, it must be true. If the Chinese seller is selling a Rolex for $3, then it must be a genuine at a bargain price. Sorry, but you get what you pay for. If you pay $1 for a gold watch, then there's a better than even chance, it ain't real gold!

Yet, time and time again, we have people coming here, feeling cheated and ripped off, because they paid a fraction of the price for something (usually from China or Hong Kong), only to discover that they got what they paid for. An inferior product (speaking generally, not aimed at the OP).

Message 7 of 24
Latest reply

Due to various factors solar panels will output approx. 75% of their rating:

https://solarcalculator.com.au/solar-panel-output/

Message 8 of 24
Latest reply

It's funny how most people are paranoid about using paypal for protection and yet they never think to check feedback before they buy anything.
Message 9 of 24
Latest reply

Yes I feel a bit stupid now for not having done the research but trusted that because there are so many panels advertised on ebay of the same size claiming the same wattage I got careless. I have since discovered that the best panels in the world under standard test conditions will only produce around 230 watts per square meter. These panels were 0.97 square meters and 17% efficicency so can only produce around 160 watts which is roughly what was measured in full sun. They were bought for a trip on a boat and will be treated roughly so didn't want to overspend knowing there would be some trade off in quality so was prepared to accept that risk.

What gets me fired up is that this sort of gross misrepresentation of products on ebay is becoming rife and is totally illegal but ebay seems happy to turn a blind eye to the fact that a large number of sellers are breaking the law with their blatant false advertising.

Yes you tend to get what you pay for but nearly 50% less than what you paid for is starting to push the limits.

Message 10 of 24
Latest reply