Why can't I buy I buy combined items without immediate payment through ebay checkout?

How do I remove ebay checkout so I can buy multiple items without being taken to ebay checkout with every item?

It also adds the postage on for every item and you have to contact seller to remove it so you can complete the sale.

It's a total pain!!!

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Why can't I buy I buy combined items without immediate payment through ebay checkout?

I wonder if it's a new 'default' setting, because it now happens with EVERY item I try to buy (except auctions) even if they don't have 'Immediate Payment Required' specified in the listing.

There are are a few sellers I've been a regular customer of for many years. In the past I was always able to just click 'Buy Now', click 'Confirm' and that would be it. It was really convenient becuase I'd usually be buying quite a few items from them every day. So after a week or so I'd build up a nice little total, they'd send me a tally (sometimes with a special postage discount) and then I'd pay.

I enjoyed taking a few days to look though their items, I'd make note of the ones I was interested in - some I would buy straight away, others I would need some time to think about. But now I feel rushed, like I have to make snap decisions. Even if I just add them to my cart, once I hit 'Request Total' it's counted as committing to buy so I can't change my mind. Very frustrating!

Message 11 of 28
Latest reply

Whoops, that should be ...can't be changed...
Message 13 of 28
Latest reply

Hmmm...I wonder if it has been dropped. I just visited a seller's page that I frequently visit and was able to 'Buy Now' -> 'Commit To Buy' without being taken to checkout. At first I thought it was becuase the items were on sale, but I was able to do it with non-sale items as well.

I better try a couple other sellers just to be sure.

I hope it has been dropped or made an 'opt-in/out' setting, it will be so much more convenient for buyers and maybe even sellers too.

Message 14 of 28
Latest reply

Apparently the new checkout system is not active on all seller's listings, some sellers have it and some don't.

eBay really needs to rethink this crazy new idea, it can't be good for buyers or sellers. Similarly their stance on not allowing sellers to exchange contact details for pick-up items is a backward step for them.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 15 of 28
Latest reply

@westymon wrote:

How do I remove ebay checkout so I can buy multiple items without being taken to ebay checkout with every item?

It also adds the postage on for every item and you have to contact seller to remove it so you can complete the sale.

It's a total pain!!!

I know that this is an old thread but rather than start a new one I'll reply to this as there are only a few replies.

I'm encountering this issue. So normally when I want to buy multiple items from a seller, I click Buy it Now and then go to a page where I click on Commit to Buy. I've then locked the item in and nobody else can buy it while I browse through the seller's other items. If I get one or two more, the seller will then send me an invoice for the total and I have saved on shipping. I did this with an overseas seller last month.

I'm trying to do this now with another seller and it won't let me do this as I have to pay for the item first. This is not GSP either. Seller said she'd fix it but it doesn't work.

Funnily enough, I went back a few hours later and clicked Buy it Now and was taken to the page with   I thought , "Great, the seller has fixed it" I clicked on Commit to Buy.  I then went to my purchase history page and the item wasn't there. I went back to do it again and the option had now disappeared.

Anyway, this is not a good thing for customers or sellers. What's the best way around it?

Message 16 of 28
Latest reply

There could be any number of reasons why you've encountered this issue now - could be eBay tinkering behind the scenes due to managed payments being phased in, could be the seller fiddling with settings as you've asked, or it could simply be because it's a Friday.

Talk to eBay about the bug, or just message the seller with the items you're wanting and ask them to combine into a single listing - but you already know all this, so why are you asking?

Still no point in resurrecting a three year old thread over it, though.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 17 of 28
Latest reply

A lot of sellers have been forced into immediate payment, even when they don't have that option selected in their settings. I don't have the option ticked, but my buyers are still forced into immediate payment. It makes it very difficult. Some buyers know to add items to the cart and then request a total (which then commits you to buy). Others just buy separately and hope for a refund on some of the excess postage costs.

Message 18 of 28
Latest reply

Re: Why can't I buy I buy combined items without immediate payment through ebay checkout?

@tazzieterror wrote:
in reply to 4channel

6 hours ago

There could be any number of reasons why you've encountered this issue now - could be eBay tinkering behind the scenes due to managed payments being phased in, could be the seller fiddling with settings as you've asked, or it could simply be because it's a Friday.

It's strange yes how it has happpened recently.

Re: Why can't I buy I buy combined items without immediate payment through ebay checkout?

@tazzieterror wrote:
in reply to 4channel

6 hours ago

Talk to eBay about the bug, or just message the seller with the items you're wanting and ask them to combine into a single listing - but you already know all this, so why are you asking?

* There are others that I'm not sure about and pointless getting seller to cancel auctions then combine. I came here to ask about the issue of why I can lo longer do what I used to do a while back, click and buy this and that without having to pay.

I have a feeling you already knew that! So why are you saying "so why are you asking?" *SIGH*

* And as for using a 3 year old thread that was selected for me by the eBay system when I was looking for the issue, why not! It's about exactly the same issue and only had a few posts. Makes good sense!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

*tippy*toes* wrote:
in reply to 4channel

*tippy*toes*
Community Member

A lot of sellers have been forced into immediate payment, even when they don't have that option selected in their settings. I don't have the option ticked, but my buyers are still forced into immediate payment. It makes it very difficult. Some buyers know to add items to the cart and then request a total (which then commits you to buy). Others just buy separately and hope for a refund on some of the excess postage costs.

I actually tried that an hour or so before you posted this. It seemed to work and lock the items in. I've never done that before: add items to a cart and then request total. It used to be click: Buy it Now .... Buy it Now  ...  etc and then seller does total later. I've been buying and bidding on eBay for nearly 18 years or so and this is my first time to learn a new process.

Message 19 of 28
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

* There are others that I'm not sure about and pointless getting seller to cancel auctions then combine. I came here to ask about the issue of why I can lo longer do what I used to do a while back, click and buy this and that without having to pay.

I have a feeling you already knew that! So why are you saying "so why are you asking?" *SIGH*

a) Why is it pointless asking a seller to combine items if checkout is not working as you expect it to? You've previously advocated contacting a seller using (the much despised by yourself) GSP to ask for a different shipping option - how is this any different?

b) In your earlier message you referred to them as "Buy it Now" items - why are you now saying they're auctions?

c) How would anyone here know what's causing the chckout bug? We're not eBay. As I said earlier it could be any number of things. 

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 20 of 28
Latest reply