Why do people list items if they don't want to sell it?

I was wanting to purchase an item, the only description was "classic wardrobe piece" and a photo from a website.
I messaged the seller 4 times over 2 weeks trying to get more info, they never replied to any of my messages & have now upped the price and added an additional photo of the actual item. (Which is 1 of the things I asked for) The item didn't sell first time around and was relisted. I'm trying to figure out why someone would not reply to genuine messages, or if there's a glitch with my account, do I have a bad eBay rep? I am puzzled. What am I missing.

I have messaged 3 people recently wanting more info on items & no one has replied. Looks like I won't be buying anything. But why sell stuff with limited info.
Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Some that only sell a few items a year list an item then forget about it.

I know people that are on the computers only once a week or once a fortnight.

Can also happen eBay accounts get hijacked and an item listed so when purchased they get all the PayPal details for buyer n seller.

image host
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

She's been listing new items & has quite a few for sale. and others had sold. So i assume she's online.

I just hope my messages are coming through & I havnt missed any replies from her. I'm just a bit surprised somone wouldn't reply & then up the price when they know someone wants it. As a buyer I can't trust her to post the item if she can't reply to a basic message.

I was trying to figure out if there's any reasons she wouldn't reply.
Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

It could be possible that if this person has excahnged contact information in a message to another potential buyer, that ebay has blocked them from sending messages at all

Due to ebay's greed, if a seller sends contact info such as address/phone number in a message, it is an instant block on that seller messaging anyone for x amount of time (due to ebay believing this MUST mean they are planning to sell away from ebay so ebay won't get their fees)

Not saying this IS the case, but it is one possible reason why a member would not respond 

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

I can give you a reason why the seller may not reply.....EBAY.

They are getting paranoid about messages between buyers and sellers.....they see every inquiry as a request to sell off ebay and both buyer and seller are restricted from using ebay messages for 7 days.

It may well be that your seller has had such an enquiry that has seen ebay stop her from sending an answer....indeed she may not have even received your messages.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Thanks guys! I can't believe a seller wouldn't want to sell an item, so looking for other reasons & you guys have helped heaps.
Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Some sellers clearly rarely read messages.

I posted questions about an item to a number of sellers mid August.  One replied quickly, I decided to buy from them and got my item early Sep.

Just last week another of them finally replied to my question. 

Has that ship sailed!

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Maybe their message answering has been blocked for a week or so, but maybe they were having second thoughts about their selling price. The fact they have now included an extra photo of the type you asked for indicates to me they probably did at least see your message.

But if they upped the price, they have obviously had a rethink on what they are willing to sell it for. The fact it didn't sell first time around may not worry them in that they may feel if they can't sell it at what they want, they won't sell at all. Maybe they hoped by not replying, they could turn you off bidding so they had time for the item to finish & relist. I know they could pull the ad at any time, but I don't know if they know that?

@*maristar* wrote:
I was wanting to purchase an item, the only description was "classic wardrobe piece" and a photo from a website.
I messaged the seller 4 times over 2 weeks trying to get more info, they never replied to any of my messages & have now upped the price and added an additional photo of the actual item. (Which is 1 of the things I asked for) The item didn't sell first time around and was relisted. I'm trying to figure out why someone would not reply to genuine messages, or if there's a glitch with my account, do I have a bad eBay rep? I am puzzled. What am I missing.

I have messaged 3 people recently wanting more info on items & no one has replied. Looks like I won't be buying anything. But why sell stuff with limited info.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply