Why do some sellers wait until they receive feedback from the buyer before leaving their feedback

Why do some sellers wait until they receive feedback from the buyer before they leave their feedback about the buyer??

I Always pay as soon as a transaction is made, unless I'm waiting for another auction from the same seller to end, in which case I contact seller and let them know.

Many sellers give feedback as soon as sale is paid for, but I have noticed that some wait until I leave my feedback (when I've received the goods). Are they waiting to see if I'm going to leave neutral/ neg. feedback before they're prepared to give me positive for my fast transaction/payment??

Thankyou to the sellers who have the confidence to judge me on my performance.

Woman Happy

Message 1 of 44
Latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

Re: Why do some sellers wait until they receive feedback from the buyer before leaving their feedbac

I completely agree. The transaction is concluded once the Buyer has received their item checked and is happy. The manner in which a Buyer may conduct themselves in the event of an issue can colour whether a Seller leaves FB or not.

Thankfully I have only had to deal with lovely buyers & sellers however I hear horror stories all the time.

As crikey said, the expectation is that  the buyer pays & the seller posts  however many variables can cloud an otherwise straight forward transaction and my personal belief is that FB is a gauge of transaction in its enirity.

Smiley Happy

Message 21 of 44
Latest reply

Re: Why do some sellers wait until they receive feedback from the buyer before leaving their feedbac

I for one, always advise my buyers when I have posted the item and request them

to advise me if they do not receive it within 5 working days after that date.

This is because two separate  items which I posted were "lost" even with a tracking no.

Both buyers  insisted they never received it , and Aust Post were adamant they

delivered it - So I just refunded the buyer the cost - Loss for me !!!

Perhaps you are inviting buyers to pull an item not received scam? You don't have to refund buyers for postal error as the contract you have with them is delivering the item to the post office. To deliver to the buyer is the carrier's responsibility not the sellers.

Message 22 of 44
Latest reply

saronic1
Community Member

I agree with the op.

We all know leaving feedback is voluntary. The point is who should leave it first. I too have noticed sellers adopting this practice of late. If I as the buyer fulfill my part of the transaction first then it is the seller who should provide the first response.

If a seller does not provide feedback first, then I will endeavour not to use them in future. They will certainly receive no feedback from me .

Message 23 of 44
Latest reply

This whole feedback thing is a bit like the chicken and the egg debate.

Also some sound a bit petulant LOL

"I'm only giving them feedback if they give it to me first" LOLOL

SandCastle.gif

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 24 of 44
Latest reply

@saronic1 wrote:

I agree with the op.

eBay doesn't.

Check this out - it's a question from eBay's own feedback tutorial relating to who should leave feedback first, and you can clearly see what the response is when you select "since you paid, the seller should leave feedback first" as the answer...

feedback tutorial question.PNG

Spoiler

The correct answer is D 

You can take the tutorial here: http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/tutorial/feedbacktutorial/js_tutorial.html

Message 25 of 44
Latest reply

@crikey*mate wrote:

This whole feedback thing is a bit like the chicken and the egg debate.

Also some sound a bit petulant LOL

"I'm only giving them feedback if they give it to me first" LOLOL

SandCastle.gif

I AGREE!  Good grief do we all really need to get so precious & bent out of shape about who should do what & when? FB is NOT compulsory.

Who leaves it & when they leave it is up to the individual without expectation from the other party. End of story.

Message 26 of 44
Latest reply

Well............ I am surprised at the response to my question - from sellers and buyers.

Thankyou to the sellers who clarified their reasoning about when they leave feed back.

I'm sorry that a few felt it necessary to give sarcastic responses.

If you check my purchase history you'll see that I am a relatively new buyer. I don't expect 'glowing' reports - I'd just like people to know that I pay promptly and reliably.

If there is a problem with goods received (or not received) I would Always contact the seller first before leaving feedback. It's a courtesy and good business as far as I'm concerned.

Woman Happy

Message 27 of 44
Latest reply

Interesting!
Message 28 of 44
Latest reply

define excellent.

define "beautiful condition"

most of those terms are subjective, what I consider to be excellent may vary significantly from what someone else does.-crikey

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

They are subjective terms.

For me, as a buyer though, what they mean is the item would be judged to be in excellent condition by most people and that there aren't a lot of faults.

What I WOULD expect, is that if something is advertised as excellent or fabulous condition, that specific faults would be mentioned and maybe a photo shown of them.

I've bought things in the past where that wasn't done and to buy eg something wooden, described as excellent, and not be told of the heat marks on it, is misleading.Smiley Mad

What it comes down to I suppose is sellers need to tone down their description if there are faults, err on the side of caution and give as objective and detailed a description as they can. Excellent or beautiful isn't enough.

Message 29 of 44
Latest reply

I always pay for my items straight away unless I have to wait for an invoice, or have more shopping with the same seller and then I let them know.  When items arrive, I give feedback, same day whenever possible, and message to let the seller know item has arrived.  I have had lots of high praise from sellers, who appreciate a buyer like me, and have rewarded me aptly with wonderful feedback.  Unfortunately, my good habits are lost on some, who seem to have nothing but disrespect for their buyers, by not bothering to leave feedback at all, or taking over a month to do so after item has arrived and I have let them know.  I stopped requesting feedback some time ago, even though I did so, very politely, because I found that some sellers have a real bad attitude to being asked for feedback and will deliberately withold it if (heaven forbid) someone like me would suggest it would be greatly appreciated!  I get annoyed when feedback is not left for me, after I have done everything perfectly, because it is like deliberate disrespect, like if it was a physical store, they just snatched my money out of my hand, and I never got a thank you.  I expect a thank you in the form of feedback, otherwise why did I bother to do everything right if it wasn't appreciated?  Some sellers are so full of their own self-importance that they seem to look down their snooty noses at the buyers and treat them like garbage.  Where do they imagine their money comes from? There is more than one seller out there that I don't buy from a second time.  This waiting for feedback to be left first, seems like a little bit of blackmail to me.  My job is done when I have paid.  I am now getting to the point that I will be telling sellers to leave me feedback first, as I am really sick of those who I go out of my way to please, and then they treat me like dirt.  Those who don't value good customers, don't deserve to have any.

Message 30 of 44
Latest reply