Why does ebay allow sellers from overseas to advertise goods not allowed into this country?

Things like plant seeds will usually not make it through customs, but the sellers don't refund. Why are these goods allowed to be advertised?

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Why does ebay allow sellers from overseas to advertise goods not allowed into this country?

Largely because people insist on buying them

Whilst eBay Australia *might* contact eBay China, eBay China will do nothing because there are always masses of buyers who keep on giving them money

So why do buyers keep on buying buying buying and keep making it worthwile $$$ wise for these sellers?

And more importantly, why buy and risk bring God knows what into the country if they do happen to make it through

I would not be buying seeds from sellers in China in the first place and I have no idea if an 'item not received dispute' would work for something customs stopped

Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

@enigmabear wrote:

I would not be buying seeds from sellers in China in the first place and I have no idea if an 'item not received dispute' would work for something customs stopped

If the seeds were confiscated by customs the OP won't win an INR dispute bear. Caveat Emptor.

They could also (hopefully) come under Custom's microscope for illegal imports.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

I thought as much

I'd highly doubt such sellers would refund in any case, especially given it is a buyer's responsibilty to know what can and can't be important to their state/country 

Then again. *some* sellers do do the right thing and cancel sales which are a no-no, customs wise (and as we have seen, some other buyers try to force them into sending the item anway

You also raise a good point about the buyer(s) ending up on custom's radar, especially if they make a habit of it

Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

@jennyrobynpayne wrote:

Things like plant seeds will usually not make it through customs, but the sellers don't refund. Why are these goods allowed to be advertised?

A lot of plants and seeds do make it through Customs.

It is the buyer's responsibility to know what seeds can be imported.....Customs are very helpful if you ring them before buying plants and seeds.

If Customs do confiscate an item you cannot win a dispute and the seller does not have to refund as ebay looks on the item as being delivered.

Sellers do not have to know what items are prohibited in any country....that is the buyer's responsibility.

Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

@jennyrobynpayne wrote:

Because of different regs for different countries. (Some allowable, some not)

Sellers cannot be expected to research the regs of all 200 countries for all plant and animal products but instead it is up to buyers to know their own local laws before importation.

image host
Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

You should be entitled to a refund at least.
Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

No michelle, if the seeds are confiscated by Customs as an illegal import there will be no refund through an INR dispute, as has already been explained by myself and others on this thread.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

@michellebartley wrote:
You should be entitled to a refund at least.

Nope. It's the buyer's responsibility to check before purchasing. Always has been.

Seller cannot be expected to take a hit because buyer has not done due diligence.

image host
Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

You are replying to Michelle, kopes.

Message 10 of 22
Latest reply