Why is Ebay charging GST on used items?

The Australian government imposed GST charges on online sales to protect "Brick and mortar" businesses, I get that, but why an I expected to pay an extra $30 on a set of obsolete used motorcycle carbs that I'm buying from a private seller in the US? What a scam! Cancel my bid thanks!

Message 1 of 269
Latest reply
268 REPLIES 268

Re: Why is Ebay charging GST on used items?

It's the govt. sucking up to the big whingers like Gerry Harvey, who blame the buyers from ebay for "evading" GST on under $1000 items for the fact that their profits aren't double what they are. 

Message 41 of 269
Latest reply

Read the post before yours.

It lists some FACTS.

Message 42 of 269
Latest reply

Why be charged again on second hand goods when the gst was already paid the first time 

Message 43 of 269
Latest reply

@ineke713 wrote:

Why be charged again on second hand goods when the gst was already paid the first time 

actually, if the item is bought from an overseas seller there is little, if any, chance that it has ever had Australian GST applied to it.

Message 44 of 269
Latest reply

Ebay.com.au really shouldn't be the party who determin GST or not, in fact the they should pay GST every time they sent out an invoice.  Ebay.com.au sending invoices to Australian business for service in Australia should 100% be subject to the GST so aussies can claim their GST where applicable...... 

But well done ebay, another fine example of how you continue to find loop holes in the system, ultimately it will all come to an end.

Message 45 of 269
Latest reply

@re_act wrote:

Ebay.com.au really shouldn't be the party who determin GST or not,

If you had read even a few of the posts here and elsewhere on the boards from experienced members you would have realised the eBay do not determine the GST on imported goods, the ATO requires them to collect the GST on imported goods below $1,000.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 46 of 269
Latest reply

@re_act wrote:

Ebay.com.au really shouldn't be the party who determin GST or not, in fact the they should pay GST every time they sent out an invoice.  Ebay.com.au sending invoices to Australian business for service in Australia should 100% be subject to the GST so aussies can claim their GST where applicable...... 

But well done ebay, another fine example of how you continue to find loop holes in the system, ultimately it will all come to an end.

If you buy from an Australian seller who is registered for GST then you get your Tax Invoice from the seller when he sends your goods.

It is nothing to do with ebay....it is between you and the seller.

GST on low value overseas purchases is different.....it IS collected by ebay and remitted to the ATO.

Message 47 of 269
Latest reply

Every invoice I have had from eBay for the last 2 years has had GST added. To eBay's fees, which is the only transaction they have with a seller.

Message 48 of 269
Latest reply

We can thank the likes of the principal of Harvey Norman for the GST on all goods from overseas. Totally greedy attitude. What they fail to recognise is the difference between what they sell and what you can buy from other countries can be far more than the 10% get.
Message 49 of 269
Latest reply

It's been beaten to death. I'm fairly sure the Gerry Harvey was not the sole instigator of it, either.

You can still buy from overseas. It's just that now you are actually contributing something to the Australian economy.

It is not a unique situation. The UK, Canada, most US states spring to mind.

Bottom line - it is the current law. Neither side is ever going to rescind it, so live with it.

Message 50 of 269
Latest reply