Why is G.S.T being charged on top of postage? When postage already includes taxes?

Taxes on top of taxes.

When John Howard the **bleep**head, said there would be no extra tax (G.S.T) on the already included tax portion attributed to goods or services.

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Why is G.S.T being charged on top of postage? When postage already includes taxes?

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Postage is a Service so attracts the Goods and Services Tax.

What other taxes are applicable to postage?

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

You're quick on the uptake. It only started in 2000.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Maybe you are confusing things.

GST is now applicable on all imports including the postage/shipping and as it's coming from O.S. it has not attracted Australian GST before.

Also postage on items sold in eBay now attracts 10.9% fee but is not GST, only eBay fees on total invoice.

image host
Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Forign taxes applicable to the postage, then the Aussies place a tax on top of that tax. Effectively taxing a tax, not a service or good. Something which John Howard said would not happen.

Also in Australia, the total price has to say includes G.S.T. Not G.S.T is an extra 10%, but included in the price. That was another promise from the honourable lol John Howard.

Then there is the unfair advantage. A person (not a business) in Australia is exempt from G.S.T collection when selling their goods or services. Yet a person from  overseas now has G.S.T attracted to the end price. Sounds a bit racist to me

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

@ozydevelopments wrote:

Forign taxes applicable to the postage, then the Aussies place a tax on top of that tax. Effectively taxing a tax, not a service or good. Something which John Howard said would not happen.

That would depend on the country the item is coming from, certainly not all countries tax the postage component (including Australia for export items)

Also in Australia, the total price has to say includes G.S.T. Not G.S.T is an extra 10%, but included in the price. That was another promise from the honourable lol John Howard.

Nope, if an international item is listed on the Australian platform it will say "10% GST is payable on this item"

Then there is the unfair advantage. A person (not a business) in Australia is exempt from G.S.T collection when selling their goods or services. Yet a person from  overseas now has G.S.T attracted to the end price. Sounds a bit racist to me

How can that possibly be racist, it's simply a government tax on imports collected by, for example eBay/Amazon etc, on behalf of the Australian government. Also if you buy directly from a seller that has under $75,000 imports to Australia there is no GST under $1,000.

Would you also consider it "racist" for other countries to charge import duties on Australian goods imported into their country ????

Oh, and davewil is most certainly no fool.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

No, but you have demonstrated you are.

If your rant was about GST on postage for imports, you should have said so.

I'm not sure why you are blaming Howard. GST on small value imports came in last year, 2018. Howard ceased to be able to legislate anything in 2007, over a decade ago.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

@ozydevelopments wrote:

Taxes on top of taxes.

When John Howard the **bleep**head, said there would be no extra tax (G.S.T) on the already included tax portion attributed to goods or services.

Yes, Taxes on top of taxes. Yes Howard said exactly that but we know he did the complete opposite. Untruthful is the mildest word that can be used. Sadly it comes nowhere near to what the truth really is.

This has affected us all.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

No, but you have demonstrated you are.

There's another one as well Dave......................original.gif

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

@ozydevelopments wrote:

It's got nothing to do with where they are, or what race they are, and everything to do with where they are selling their items. 

If the same person was selling their items on a platform that the ATO had not deemed to be the business (as a distribution platform), no GST would apply.

The GST on imports applies to all business that have an annual turnover into Australia of $75k or more (the same threshold for Australian businesses, where it becomes non-optional).

eBay (and other sites like it) are deemed the business for the purposes of GST on imports. 

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply