Why is postage so high and can we do anything about it?

 This is just one example, but postage in general is just unreasonable and much, much higher than sending anything outside of ebay via regular mail, other international sellers or even on Amazon. 

For example, a Tonie figure is so small and light it can be sent in a small envelope, doesn't even need a parcel box and sending it via normal post is around $8 max from the same

location as this seller. But somehow ebay charges more than double that.

Some items have a postage fee that is four times or more the postage cost outside of ebay. And that is independently of the seller, all across different items, so it must be an ebay thing not a choice of the individual seller. 

Anyone know what's going on?

It makes ebay completely pointless and imaccessible.

Just wondering if anyone knows what's going on.

 Shipping from the US is especially insane. This item costs $20 in shipping on other sites. 

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

eBay does not sell anything, hence does not charge for postage

Yes, you can choose from a different seller

No, an item like that cannot be sent in an envelope, nor for a 'max of $8' 

And if you choose to buy from sellers who ship via that method, that is the charge involved in doing so

Most sellers would not be willing to ship via a method that gives no protection against false claims such as item not received either

*Some* sellers do not put in correct weights and sizes 

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

I can't help but wonder if you are looking at sellers who use "Sendle" and are cheaper.  You go for it if you like.  I will pay the extra for AP

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

For example, a Tonie figure is so small and light it can be sent in a small envelope, doesn't even need a parcel box and sending it via normal post is around $8 max from the same

location as this seller. But somehow ebay charges more than double that.

For example anything that can go as a letter doesn't cost anywhere near $8.

If it needs to go as a parcel, $8 is under what AP charges.

As mentioned, eBay don't set postage prices. Sellers do.

Choose your battles. And try not to show your lack of knowledge in a public forum. Best to ask a question, rather than show your ingenuity.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

All good and well if the buyer wants their toy to arrive damaged due to inappropriate packaging,be slapped with more to pay charges for not paying enough for postage(because it isn’t 1998 anymore)

Because they can just open an item not as described dispute and then neg the seller for all of the above

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

$8 is cheap unless as you said they go untracked envelope.   I have many items which could go that way, but I send all my items tracked.   

It's not Ebay who set the postage it's the seller.

If you don't like it, don't buy it, simple really

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply