be aware of fraud

Was looking to buy an OUtlander the other day and contacted the seller and asked to inspect vehicle as it was supposedly in Qld. Here is thier reply.

G'day,
If you are still interested in buying the car, I'm asking $6,800 (I've lowered the price because I'm running out of time). The car is road worthy. Rego until September 2013. It has a clear title, very well maintained, always garage kept, no rust, excellent condition, runs and sounds 100% perfect with no leaks or noises. I have to sell the car as fast as i can because I was detached to 14 SQN based in Berlin, Germany. The car is located in Bullsbrook, WA. Since this is a military base an actual viewing of the car is not possible. After I was detached in Germany, I've made all the shipping arrangements so i can deliver the car anywhere in Australia. If you are interested to purchase my car, I'll give you all the info's on how to complete this transaction.
Looking forward your soon reply in order to proceed further with the deal.

The only problem being is that this sounds too much like a scam due to the fact 14SQN was disbanded in Australia in 1945.The seller purports to be an australian defence force memeber in order to sell vehicle.
Ebay doesnt seem to care tho as usual ( it means them losing money I suppose). Be aware that this doesnt sound fair dinkum ad
Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

be aware of fraud

go-tazz
Community Member

Stating that they are overseas  is a common tactic used by scammers.

Just notify eBay via Customer Support > Contact eBay > hover over Buying and select Report a Member.

Then select:

Send us an email

Generally we will reply within 24 hours

Put their user ID where yours is in the top box ,(remove yours).

Then just put your suspicions in as to why you are reporting them in the: Enter a detailed description of your problem or your question here

Include the details in the message you have received from them.

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

be aware of fraud

This scam has been going on since before ebay was even thought of, the scammers had to use car trading mags and classified advertisements but that didn't stop them trying.

To me they are so obvious as to be useless but unfortunately the occasional schmuck falls for it so it is worth them  trying, at the very least they may get an active email address out of it.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

be aware of fraud

In future do not post a seller's ID - it's a policy violation and we don't need to know what it is anyway.

Another part of this type of scam is to ask you to pay a third party then the car will be delivered to you and after inspecting it your payment will be refunded if you don't want it. You will also notice pigs flying over your home.

After you pay nothing will happen.

TCT
Message 4 of 4
Latest reply