bought iPhone 6 in July 2019 with 3 year seller warranty. Phone has an problem. Seller no response

iPhone 6 purchased 17/07/19. Seller offered 2 year warranty in listing but because of delivery issues seller offered extra 1 year warranty - total three years. eBay cannot help as outside 30 day purchase money back guarantee. Paypal unwilling to help as outside PPs 180 day "challenge" period .

So why does eBay and Paypal allow sellers to rip us off? Sellers offering any guarantee greater than 180 days on eBay laugh at us buyers as eBay and paypal will not pursue them to honour their Guarantee / Warranty period.  How do I challenge this issus with eBay and paypal. Seller still offers a two year guarantee on the iPhone 6, but original listing has gone (#333091368266). New listing              #333425512724 offers the two year warranty. But yet when I ask for that warranty to be enforced, the seller does not reply! And neither PP nor eBay will assist me beyond (eBay) writing to the seller.

How many eBay buyers have been and are being ripped off by this warranty scam?

Come on eBay support those who support you!

See attached image confiring 3 year warranty offer. Sadly can only post one image here.

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: bought iPhone 6 in July 2019 with 3 year seller warranty. Phone has an problem. Seller no respon

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

Just posting so I can be accused of being a troll...............AGAIN. I didn't want to be left out.

Buy shart from China, expect it to break pretty quickly. The current joke is, the Corona Virus won't last long, because it's made in China. It's no different to anything else purchased from there.

Geebus tippy-troll - seems you having nothing better to do than troll sincere issues raised by eBay users, here!

(Rubrication* mine)

(*Learned 'rubrication' from a recent Countess comment, and am now rubricating everywhere with reckless abandon!)

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 21 of 27
Latest reply

Re: bought iPhone 6 in July 2019 with 3 year seller warranty. Phone has an problem. Seller no respon

Tippy, you're a Troll,Smiley LOL

(Will that suit you?)

Message 22 of 27
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Tippy, you're a Troll,Smiley LOL

(Will that suit you?)

With a capital no less! I now feel complete.

Lets not forget k1ooo, he is a troll wannabe.

Message 23 of 27
Latest reply

Of course.....happy to oblige.

k1ooo you are a Troll with a capital T too.

Does anyone else require validation.....just line up!Smiley LOL

Message 24 of 27
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Of course.....happy to oblige.

k1ooo you are a Troll with a capital T too.

Does anyone else require validation.....just line up!Smiley LOL

finally!

Message 25 of 27
Latest reply

Sellers offering any guarantee greater than 180 days on eBay laugh at us buyers as eBay and paypal will not pursue them to honour their Guarantee / Warranty period.  

How many eBay buyers have been and are being ripped off by this warranty scam?

Come on eBay support those who support you!

----------------------------

You're not the first buyer to be disappointed by a 'warranty' that isn't honoured. You won't be the last.

It is very misleading to read in an ad that there is a 2 year warranty and then find it is worthless.

I've been trying to think of things ebay could do to lessen the likelihood of this problem happening.

First thing that comes to mind is they could ban all mention of warranties in the actual body of the ad and instead make that info a separate sub-box section that a seller has to fill in, with length of warranty & country of origin of warranty.

This section could contain an ebay generated sentence to the effect that any warranty is not enforceable by ebay and to note that there can sometimes be problems claiming on foreign warranties.

I don't think this would necessarily stop buyers from buying, but they couldn't claim they didn't know the score.

Ebay already has computer programs that can pick up on any whiff of a mention of contact details that might lead to an off ebay transaction, so they could probably devise a program that could pick up on any unauthorised warranty references in an ad.

The second thing that comes to mind is they could look at individual complaints such as yours and where they find a seller has failed to honour a warranty, they could impose sanctions. Probably the best sanction here would be if a seller did not honour an Australian customer, their ads could no longer be visible on Australian ebay.

As a buyer, I quite like this solution but I can see why ebay wouldn't. They aren't interested in becoming mediators in warranty disputes. It can be a grey area. Not saying your case is, but generally speaking, probably not easy & more to the point, time consuming( it costs ebay money, for an operator to read through all messages & hard for ebay to ensure that operators would consistently come to the same conclusion.) 

It's not going to happen. On past form, I'd say ebay is after as little human intervention as it can manage. So much is automated now & that's the way they like it.

Third thing (and countess made me think of this). Where an ad mentions a warranty in years, perhaps the paypal coverage could extend out to one year, with a money back guarantee for 'not as described'. After all, if an item is advertised as being guaranteed for 2 years, then if it breaks down in one year, that doesn't fit the description in the ad. I think that is fairly unlikely to happen too as it is only in recent years paypal went to 180 days.

The system would have to be fairly automated and in the buyer's favour & there would be plenty of potential for it to be misused by some buyers, causing seller resentment.

You ask ebay to support those who support it, but the problem is they get quite a bit of revenue from sellers too, in the way of fees etc so call me cynical, but I can't see them rushing to put sellers offside either unless they have to.

So yes, I think warranties mentioned in ads can be a problem, but your chances of getting ebay to change aren't great. 

My attitude is pretty much that if i want to buy anything on ebay, to disregard any mention of warranty and decide if it is still worth it.

Not ideal, but if you have cynical expectations you won't be let down.

Message 26 of 27
Latest reply

There are a few flaws in your proposed solutions, springy. If ebay or pp had anything to do with warranties offered by sellers it'd be subject to abuse by buyers. Some people tire of their new toys pretty fast so after a few months they'd claim they weren't working or they'd deliberately drop them so they aren't working properly, then the sellers would have to replace them.

If people are happy enough to engage in risky buying habits, ebay are happy to take their money. End of.
Message 27 of 27
Latest reply