can a seller request more money to cover postage costs?

I purchased an item from an overseas seller who clearly stated postage cost to Australia.  Now that I've paid in full, including the postage that they invoiced me, they are asking for another 10euro before they will post the item.  Where do I stand??

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

If you really want the item then you either have to pay the extra or at least negotiate, perhaps offer half. If they are a newish seller it may be a genuine mistake and they are allowed to ask. You however are not obliged to pay any more but it is quite likely if you refuse the seller will just refund your money and risk the neg. 

Up to you but if you don't want to negotiate or pay any extra just email saying that you purchased taking the total cost including delivery into account so you would like your item sent at the agreed price.

It is then up to the seller if they dp the right thing or not.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

Technically, you are not obliged to pay any more money, and the seller is obliged to post at the price & cost they quoted, but practically, if they refuse to send the item without extra payment, there's is not a lot you can do to make them send it.

If there was a genuine error and/or the seller appeared to be inexperienced etc, I might be inclined to have more empathy and try to reach a compromise.

Just keep in mind that if by any chance you do agree to pay extra, ask the seller to refund the original payment and send an amended invoice, as sending two payments for one item can compromise buyer protection.

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply