checkout sends me straight to PayPal to pay

Hi All, 

I purchased an item for $6 with seller requesting Aussie Buyers pay via Direct Debit.

I had no problems with that, but when I went to check-out I got taken straight to PayPal.

So I paid via PayPal, I haven't heard from the seller nor has the item been sent. 

Would my paying via PayPal have upset the seller? How much is the fee for $6? 

Also, how do I pay via Direct Debit if I want to do so on other purchases? 

Thank you Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: checkout sends me straight to PayPal to pay

The seller says bank deposit is preferred for Aussie buyers, but I'm sure they're well aware and accept that most people will use PayPal, so I doubt that's giving them any concern. My guess is they might have a 2 or 3 day handling time.

Unless you were on a mobile phone or similar (which I've heard doesn't show bank deposit options in checkout) should be able to select other payment options on the first screen on the checkout after clicking Pay Now, even though PayPal is usually pre-selected.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

It seems that they have automatic payment set up on their listing. Seems odd considering their request for bank deposit though.

It is my opinion that you should always pay by a safe payment method such as PayPal, regardless of what the seller says. If you pay by Bank Deposit you have absolutely NO Buyer Protection whatsoever and are reliant on the seller's 'ethics".

It might have upset the seller, but that's not really your problem, a condition of using eBay is that all sellers are prepared to use a safe payment method.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

The seller says bank deposit is preferred for Aussie buyers, but I'm sure they're well aware and accept that most people will use PayPal, so I doubt that's giving them any concern. My guess is they might have a 2 or 3 day handling time.

Unless you were on a mobile phone or similar (which I've heard doesn't show bank deposit options in checkout) should be able to select other payment options on the first screen on the checkout after clicking Pay Now, even though PayPal is usually pre-selected.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

@ineke713 wrote:

Hi All, 

I purchased an item for $6 with seller requesting Aussie Buyers pay via Direct Debit.

I had no problems with that, but when I went to check-out I got taken straight to PayPal.

So I paid via PayPal, I haven't heard from the seller nor has the item been sent. 

Would my paying via PayPal have upset the seller? How much is the fee for $6? 

Also, how do I pay via Direct Debit if I want to do so on other purchases? 

Thank you Smiley Happy

30c + 2.4% = 44c

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Thank heaps for that,

yes, I bought and paid on my mobile as that is the only internet access I have at the moment.

I'm all for saving a dollar when I can, hate all the charges that can add up, next time I'll try to pay through a non- mobile device! 

Thanks so much again! 

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

I don't care how much it may upset a seller I will only pay without Paypal if it is somebody I have bought from before several times and it is under ten bucks in total. Sellers should build the cost of all fees into their start or selling price and if they don't it is not the buyer's fault.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Thank for the replies,

I always pay via PayPal because of buyer protection, but this was a low cost item from a seller I trusted.

With the next low cost purchase I didn't go to checkout, I just asked the seller for his bank details and transferred it over when I received the info.
All good, thanks again!
Message 7 of 7
Latest reply