eBay Prices - Selling and Buying

Okay, so given the new buying and selling, what's the final outcomes now?

Let's work with $1000

If I buy something for $1000, (Free Postage) it'll be..       $1,000 + $100 (GST) = $1100

If I sell something for $1000,  it'll be..        $1,000 - $109 (10.9% eBay Fee) = $891

Is this how it is now? 

Thanks

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Everything has a shipping cost....it is just that some sellers add it into the item cost and send with "free shipping" which really means shipping included.

The GST is payable on the item cost plus postage, whether that be a separate postage cost or a postage included cost.

Gerry Harvey is the owner of the Harvey Norman chain of discount stores.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 20
Latest reply

@teldrassilx wrote:

Hold up so the 10%+ GST only applies to things that have a shipping cost?

Edit: Who the ef is 'Gerry Harvey'?

teldrassilx, can you start your reply posts with “@userID” so we know who you are replying to.  So, a reply to any of my posts would start with “@k1ooo” (you can use abbreviated IDs, just so long as we know who you are replying to).

I assume that your reply is to my post since I am the poster who first mentioned Gerry Harvey.

What I posted was:

So the GST will add 50c or less to the item cost of the things you usually buy (if the stuff you buy is from China then chances are it has free postage which will not attract any GST on shipping).

I’m not sure about your thought processes seeing as you have interpreted replies as saying that GST only applies to items with a shipping cost . . . . . . or, are you just winding us up?

I’ll assume that you are genuine in asking “so the 10%+ GST only applies to things that have a shipping cost?”.  The short answer is NO.

Since 1st July, the GST now applies to ALL eBay items that are bought from overseas sellers. If the seller offers free shipping, as many Asian sellers do, then the GST is levied against the item cost.  For an overseas item that has a postage charge then you pay GST on the {item + shipping} cost.  If it is shipped using the Global Shipping Program (GSP) then you will likely be charged an import charge by Pitney Bowes, and this import charge is subject to GST.

Gerry Harvey (of Harvey Norman) did lobby the Coalition Government to have GST applied to imports purchased online as he argued that Australian business was disadvantaged as they had to charge GST and could not compete with overseas retailers whose items did not attract GST on items below A$1000 value.

@allpostersontheseboards

On these boards, many posters have laid the blame for the introduction of GST on low-cost imports squarely on Gerry Harvey.  While he was the public face of retailers lobbying the government, he was not alone.  I contest that people love to have an individual to blame, and Gerry fits the bill. Some years back he was on every TV network making the case for GST on all imports. He has made himself an easy target.

In my opinion, the blame lies with consumers (us) and Federal Governments (past and present).   Consumers have embraced online shopping and hate changes that increase the cost of items (you never hear consumers complain when prices drop though). However, it is not entirely their fault as when the GST was introduced in 2000 there was very little, if any, online buying by ordinary citizens.  One could hardly blame the Howard Coalition Government of 2000 for not anticipating the level of ecommerce in 2018 and the growth of online platforms such as eBay.

So, including online imports in the GST taxable items is just an evolution of the GST tax legislation.  It is not fair to argue that the original GST legislation should apply for all time without change.  All legislation should be subject to review and amendment as circumstances change.

As others have posted on other threads, we had it good for many years in being able to buy items GST tax free. It was inevitable that the GST would be extended to include imports to items valued at less than $1000.  The removal of any tax-free threshold eliminates avenues for tax avoidance/evasion.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re buying - Only if you import. (Purchase from overseas)

If you buy within Australia, 1000 plus free postage - you pay 1000.

Selling is correct, 10% is eBay fee and the 0.9% is the 10% on fee component, so 10.9% on total invoice.

image host
Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

Holy dooly that was quick.

Yeah I mainly purchase overseas.. ;d

How sad this 10% GST has come.. now it feels like I'm paying my Seller's Fee for every purchase.. :f

Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

Actually the import tax has always been there for item plus shipping over 1000.

It now applies to items less than 1000.

On imports I guess it's similar to paying the eBay fee except the tax dept gets it not the seller.

And if you purchase from a seller using the GSP you will also get slugged an additional percentage for the GSP to collect that tax.

image host
Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

@teldrassilx wrote:

Okay, so given the new buying and selling, what's the final outcomes now?

Let's work with $1000

If I buy something for $1000, (Free Postage) it'll be..       $1,000 + $100 (GST) = $1100

If I sell something for $1000,  it'll be..        $1,000 - $109 (10.9% eBay Fee) = $891

Is this how it is now? 

Thanks

Re your example for $1000, Import purchase,

$1000  + $100 GST  +  Approx  $130 in additional import fees.  

Now with the new GST on low value items (Below $1000)   Purchase price + Postage + GST + Any Import fees.

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

Working with $1000 (although $999 would be more accurate), are you saying you used to buy stuff for $1000 and sell it for $1000, thus making a $109 loss (the eBay fees)?

Now you will lose an extra $100? Not counting Paypal fees on the sale, which would be $26.30.

Doesn't sound to have ever been a viable business plan. Even less so now.

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

No sorry I was just using a big round number. Didn't know $1000+ had that fee

Well now I wish it stayed like that, I usually buy things dirt cheap like $5 or less. Occasionally something $500 like a second hand iPhone etc.

But yeah, 10%+ risen cost on everything just feels rubbish. 

Everything I find in my country is usually 5x 10x more expensive.. so this 'compeditive rates' garbage is exactly that.

Anyway, nothing can be done it seems. :f

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

@teldrassilx wrote:

No sorry I was just using a big round number. Didn't know $1000+ had that fee

Well now I wish it stayed like that, I usually buy things dirt cheap like $5 or less. Occasionally something $500 like a second hand iPhone etc.

But yeah, 10%+ risen cost on everything just feels rubbish. 

Everything I find in my country is usually 5x 10x more expensive.. so this 'compeditive rates' garbage is exactly that.

Anyway, nothing can be done it seems. :f

I usually buy things dirt cheap like $5 or less

So the GST will add 50c or less to the item cost of the things you usually buy (if the stuff you buy is from China then chances are it has free postage which will not attract any GST on shipping).

Occasionally something $500 like a second hand iPhone etc.

I would advise you to NOT buy any high priced electrical item from an overseas seller.  If you meant you sometimes buy a $500 iPhone from an Aussie seller then I would advise you to NOT buy any high priced electrical item from an Aussie seller, especially second hand items.  Regarding second hand iPhones, there are many buyers who have come to the boards complaining of iPhones (and other mobile brands) failing after several months and having no enforceable warranty.

Everything I find in my country is usually 5x 10x more expensive

Everything????? Can you give examples? I’m not trying to be a smarty pants, I am truly interested in knowing what items are 5x and 10x more expensive (apart from the cheap junk from Chinese sellers that is generally useless, poorly made or not fit for purpose).  Just a couple of examples would satisfy my curiosity.

Not sure what your ‘competitive rates’ comment is in relation to, but will take a guess anyway.  If your ’competitive rates’ comment is in relation to why the GST was introduced on low-cost (under $1000) items then I would need to know the context i.e. is it aimed against Gerry Harvey?  I would argue that items from HN would not cost 5x or 10x identical items available from overseas eBay sellers, and even if they did you would get an after-sales enforceable warranty on items bought from HN (and an electrical plug that fits Aussie electrical sockets).

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

If things here are indeed 5-10 times more expensive here than from OS, then the answer is simple - continue to buy from OS. Things will still be 4.5-9 times cheaper, but you will actually be contributing something to the Australian economy.

Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

Not sure what your ‘competitive rates’ comment is in relation to, but will take a guess anyway.  If your ’competitive rates’ comment is in relation to why the GST was introduced on low-cost (under $1000) items then I would need to know the context i.e. is it aimed against Gerry Harvey?  I would argue that items from HN would not cost 5x or 10x identical items available from overseas eBay sellers, and even if they did you would get an after-sales enforceable warranty on items bought from HN (and an electrical plug that fits Aussie electrical sockets).

It has been pointed out to me that not everything that HN sells has a power plug.

That is, of course, correct.

However, I was on point in the context in which that was included in my post i.e. Gerry being the one who complained about no GST on online purchases from overseas.

I don’t think he was referring to items that HN sell that do not have power plugs, like queen sized beds, lounge suites, recliner chairs, dining tables, dining chairs, bedside tables, bookcases, tall boys, tv cabinets, floor rugs etc.

I have been told that they do sell other no power cord items that are popular on eBay and small enough to be shipped from overseas, like memory sticks and memory cards . . . . . . but most of us can recall there have been many threads about these items that claim counterfeit items were received that had misrepresented capacities.  And these items should not be bought from overseas sellers.

Spoiler
always happy to have my posts challenged, just wish some members would do so in reply to my post and not via Private Message. Ho hum.

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply