eBay cheating and lying on refunds. BUYER BEWARE!

The seller sent a used item which had been falsely described as "New". The seller accepted my return. The seller could not send a return postage label. The seller asked for a copy of the return postage receipt in order to refund the return postage. eBay instructed me to return the item by tracked postage. I followed eBay's instructions, and paid for the reurn postage. The seller has receved the item, and refunded GBP15.00 to my Paypal Account. There is no other refund amounts.

The eBay "Return Request" page has removed some information, an now simply states that "This return is now completed The seller refunded GBP 25.77 to your original payment method in PayPal." That is a lie, and by following eBay's instructions,  I am considerably out of pocket for the balance of the original cost PLUS the entire return shipping cost. Contacting eBay by phone I was unable to resolve the issue. One operator passed me to another who has now passed me to a third.

Seems the moral of the story with eBay is that if the item is not as described, TOUGH LUCK!

Message 1 of 68
Latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

Re: eBay cheating and lying on refunds. BUYER BEWARE!

I am not an ebay employee.....ebay does not read the boards.

I am not defending the indefensible.

Yes I understand that you paid through paypal....but did you use paypal funds or did the funds come from a debit or credit card account?

If you don't know how you funded the paypal payment then maybe you need to find out as no-one can help you retrieve the refund if you cannot answer a simple question like that.

Message 11 of 68
Latest reply

mbselections00

Thanks for the best wishes. So far, it seems like getting the correct refund is like getting blood out of a stone. The chnaces of getting reimbursed for the return postage seems slim, despite being told by eBay to send the item back, and despite the seller stating he/she would refund me in full. This is a real scam.

Message 12 of 68
Latest reply

This is not the first time I have been refunded on a faulty transaction. All refunds have been processed through my Paypal Account. If you having trouble understanding the process, please start a new topic and ask for help.

Message 13 of 68
Latest reply

Whenever a member comes here and says eBay is cheating, stealing, lying, scamming and whatever else under the sun, 98% of the time it's because the member didn't know or understand procedures of eBay n PayPal.

And very few come back offering an apology, perhaps too embarrased or don't give a rats, after they receive solutions here and discover they were wrong.

I am neutral and on neither sides but it gets my goat when members say things that are not true or overstate due to their own ignorance. Smiley Mad

image host
Message 14 of 68
Latest reply

There is a fair bet that Lyndal, with over 6000 Buying transactions to her name, is versed in the ins and outs of eBay buying.

I certainly won't be offering any as you seem to have a preconceived idea of what the advice should be and I doubt that is what I would offer.

Message 15 of 68
Latest reply

I understand the refund process perfectly well thank you.

But it seems that you do not understand a simple question as to how you funded your paypal account....this makes a considerable difference in the length of time a refund takes and where you will find it.

I have already explained where to find out if the refund has been actioned.....if you need further help you should ask instead of being rude to members who are trying to help you.

Message 16 of 68
Latest reply

Hello, everyone. Don't get overwhelmed when you disagree with each other. Remember interpersonal dispute isn't allowed here. Thanks. 🙂

Message 17 of 68
Latest reply

Let this thread be a warning that the eBay refund system has a serious fault.

It is a shame that the issue has gotten obsfucated by community members who think they know everything.

To repeat what I said in the original post:

eBay's "Return Request" page states:

"This return is now completed The seller refunded GBP 25.77 to your original payment method in PayPal."

My Paypal statement shows a completed refund for the amount of only GBP15. There is no other refunded amount completed, nor any other refund amount pending.

The statement by eBay is totally false.

I guess that spending more time on the phone could bring some resolution, but so far it has not.

Message 18 of 68
Latest reply

If you calm down and actually read what experienced memebrs are telling you I would bet that you will find that you have been refunded in full. Being rude because you don't understand the process does you no favours. The members here tend to be able to explain things better than Ebay call centre staff if you allow them to.

Latest reply

Mmmm weird.

When you are on your account summary page - find the orginial paypal payment transaction and if you click into the detail - what details does it show ?  This should show all the transactions relevant to the purchase including purchase and subsequent refund.  If you have been short changed in the refund, the information should be revealed here.

I just wanted to add that whilst payments may have been processed via your paypal account, if part of the original paypal payment made to the seller was not cash sitting in your Paypal account, but was drawn from a credit/debit or bank account - then this is not immediately apparent in the Paypal account summary view.  

Message 20 of 68
Latest reply