eBay does not honour their Money Back Guarantee

On the 17SEP2021 I made a significant purchase on eBay of over 1000 USD. (CL060861285RU) I made sure to use PayPal as I was aware of the MBG policy that requires this to be used. Long story short my item arrived In country (Australia) on the 6th of October, where it was retained by customs which is in accordance with our customs policy as any item over 1000 dollars requires customs fees to be payed.

However I first became aware of an issue when I reached out to customs myself on the 19th of October asking to pay my required import duties. The customs officer notified me that they didn't have the parcel yet so he couldn't proceed and I should contact AusPost. I raised an inquiry for a missing item and  contacted Auspost on the 22nd of October, I was notified that they also didn't have the parcel and closed my inquiry, also informing me that I would be required to contact the seller to launch an investigation Via Russian Post.

I attempted to contact the Seller who I had not heard from since the 17th of September to no avail, unable to proceed I launched a claim as required via eBay on the 01 of November.  On the 06th of November I received an email back from eBay stating they had closed the case in my favour and pending approval from the High Value items team. 

Two Weeks passed and I had not received any contact from eBay or a refund so on the 21NOV2021 I reached out again to eBay asking what had happened, I was notified that I had been denied a refund because I was refusing to pay customs fees. This was perplexing has I had already made clear  that I had tried to pay these fees but I couldn't because the parcel cannot be located. 

I appealed this decision soon after stating I could show them Evidence of my contact with Customs and AusPost, however I was reassured this would not be needed. On the 24NOV2021 Ebay Closed my case in the sellers favour notifying me again that I should pay the customs duty or the item will be shipped back to the seller and on top of that I should contact the seller resolve my issue. 

In conclusion, when one is buying from eBay you are at high risk of losing money even if you follow all of eBays guidelines and policy. eBays customer service does not read what you send them and will just look at the tracking information and conclude that is good enough for their investigation. Ebay Money Back Guarantee.JPGAus Post.JPGInkedInkedInkedCustoms_LI.jpgEbay Money Back Guarantee  First.JPG

Message 1 of 40
Latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Tracking actually states,  retained by customs/security for unspecified reasons, which sounds more like the item has been seized or for some reason has not yet cleared customs.

Is the item a prohibited/restricted import

Message 2 of 40
Latest reply

AusPost only gets items after they have gone through Customs, so I think the Customs officer gave you the wrong information when he/she told you to contact AusPost because they didn't have it yet. 

Maybe you should talk to another Customs officer?

At any rate, as you used PayPal, you still have the opportunity to open a dispute in PayPal if the item is lost.

Edit: Gutterpunk says the item has been seized by Customs - what was it? Maybe you need to pay additional money for procedures like disinfecting etc.?

Message 3 of 40
Latest reply

No, the item is a Camera and is allowed for importation. I've spoken to customs officers about this too and they have no history of the item being seized except for it was passed for an AQIS and since then no further updates. I have called AQIS but they have no record of the item being handed to them. 

Message 4 of 40
Latest reply

this is dreadful....please tell me it's not a harp?

is it made of wood?

Message 5 of 40
Latest reply

Thankgod it's not a Harp, just a sturdy film camera with no wood on it. AQIS was very confused when I contacted them. 

Message 6 of 40
Latest reply

so, AQIS have 'lost' it? Don't know where you go from here.....any insurances paid?

Message 7 of 40
Latest reply

I've left out a bunch of emails because I didn't want to include personal information but I've been in contact with another customs officer who said the same thing.  Sadly I cannot pay for any procedures or special treatments because it cannot be located. 

Just a little upset that ebay didn't honor their own policy and I've had to start asking PayPal. 

Message 8 of 40
Latest reply

It's not AQIS any more - rebranded:

Travelling or sending goods to Australia - DAWE

I would talk to someone (as high as you can go)....you have documentation...either lost or dare I say, stolen

Message 9 of 40
Latest reply

I agree, I've worked my way up to senior customs officers so far. Just upsetting that eBay didn't honor their money back guarentee when I'm within their policy if they just read my evidence they would  understand.

Also I feel like this is the responsibility of the sender to do further investigations? 

Message 10 of 40
Latest reply