ebay now forces buyer to purchase post label to return item

I purchased a garden tool by mistake, so I opened a return request.

PS: I knew return postage would be my responsibility.

Ebay then showed me a new page that I have never seen before, said return label would cost $23, which was insane since I only paid $45 + free shipping to get it.

The worse thing was, there was no other option available, ebay was forcing me to buy their label, there was no other button or link that allowed me to continue, thus if I wanted to go ahead with the return, I had to click "Confirm" and purchase the damn label.

It was disgusting, and illegal I'm sure.

The customer support was not helpful, the first guy simply had no idea what I was saying, kept telling me "you can upload tracking yourself", "you can choose your own carrier" blah blah blah.

So I tried someone else for luck, the 2nd guy told me to just return the item via the way I wish, then contact them again to share the tracking number.

Firstly it is annoying, WHY do I have to contact customer support again just to upload a tracking #?

Secondly ebay does not share seller's return address on screen any more, it's nowhere to be found in the return detail, so in order to return an item I have to contact customer support twice?? (one to ask for address then again to provide tracking)

Apparently not every one was caught in this strange new "return process", my cousin just returned a speaker last week and everything went just as normal.

Has anyone here experienced this? 

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: ebay now forces buyer to purchase post label to return item

@ordervania wrote:

Return policy says 30 days return, buyer pays shipping. 

I am not an ebay plus member.

No worries, I was just thinking the only logical reason eBay would force their label process would be if the seller was paying for the return, in which case they can authorise you to generate a label via eBay's system but the charge will be added to their account.

The only other time that can occur is when a non-change of mind reason is selected for the return - so if none of this is applicable, I can only assume the system glitched as it's not the standard procedure, but you should have the option to cancel the label to use a cheaper alternative (before you do, just make sure to confirm a new tracking number can be uploaded to the return, and grab the return address from the label details)

Message 11 of 11
Latest reply