hi!I received an email from EBAY advising I was unsuccessful in my bid on an item and I did not bid

Hi

I received an email from Ebay advising I was unsuccessful in my bid on a beauty item. I definitely did NOT bid on the item and I am wondering how this has happened?  Please advise how this happens and what I should do to prevent it from occuring again

thanks

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

hi!I received an email from EBAY advising I was unsuccessful in my bid on an item and I did not bid

If it was a email, It sounds to me as though it's a phishing attempt to perhaps click on a link in the email and get you to log into your account so they get your details etc. If there is a link in the email just put your cursor over the top of it and see what the site is...........  Do Not Click On It though.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

I got an email today from ebay stating that an item that I was bidding on has been taken off,but it's funny because I wasn't even bidding on that item.Something phishy is going on here?

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

@zelly888 wrote:

I got an email today from ebay stating that an item that I was bidding on has been taken off,but it's funny because I wasn't even bidding on that item.Something phishy is going on here?

yes indeed, they are attempts to get you to click on the link, and check what you ''bid'' on.  you'll have to enter your ebay password and VOILA!!! a scammer has access, whenever the like (usually not for a few weeks so you;ve forgotten all about that click).

and...if you happen to use the same password (which they now know), for your paypal a/c they have a double bonus

never ever click a link in an email.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

If you have clicked on any links in a suspicious email change your passwords for ebay, Paypal and any on line bank accounts. Run a deep security scan on your computer to make sure you have not acquired a keylogger or other spyware

It is a good idea to never click on links in emails even of they do look as if they are really from ebay or Paypal etc, often looking at the full header will show you that it has come from a scammer. Also look for typos and Chinglish grammar, also a big givaway.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Go to your ebay account and sign in and look in your inbox any emails from ebay should be there also..
Message 6 of 6
Latest reply