i brought an item and now the seller says the reserve was not met?

diffa_1
Community Member

i purchased an item the seller has now said the reserve was not met and he was going to relist the item

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: i brought an item and now the seller says the reserve was not met?

I'm no expert, but when you placed your bid, where the current bid is displayed on the listing it should say "Reserve not yet met" or words to that effect. If it didnt, then I guess, I could be wrong, but I think the seller did NOT list it with any reserve, and is now trying to backtrack on the deal.

Keep at them, politely state your case, but keep it civil.

I had that situation once, where a seller sold me a computer cheaper than he wanted too, then claimed it was faulty, and he'd have to refund me instead.
I kept at him, saying it wasnt my fault it went so cheap.

I also noticed he sold other very similar systems, and could easily have rectified any "fault".

Eventually he said he had retested it, and it was now working.  ๐Ÿ™‚

He sent it.

It worked for 3+ years without any problem.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

The Reserve Price option is only available for vehicles listed in the Cars, Bikes, Boats category (excluding Go Carts, Pocket Bikes and Trailers).

Selling Using a Reserve Price

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

OK, at a guess, the item in question is a 99c basin.

The home and garden category does not have a reserve option.

This means that as you were the winning bidder, that the seller is now obligated to sell the item to you.

He does have this in his listing "This item has a reserve if reserve is not met item will be relisted." but I don't think that means anything that can change the fact that the seller is obligated to sell to you at the price you won the auction for.

For an eBay auction (that isn't motior vehicles), the "reserve" is the price which you list the item at - the lowest price you are prepared to sell the item for.

This guy owes you a basin.

If he will not allow you to pick up, your options with eBay are to report him as a non performing seller, but eBay can not force the sale. To force the sale (and make the seller honour the legally binding contract he has made with you) you would have to go through external legal channels.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

@my*mum wrote:

OK, at a guess, the item in question is a 99c basin.

The home and garden category does not have a reserve option.

This means that as you were the winning bidder, that the seller is now obligated to sell the item to you.

He does have this in his listing "This item has a reserve if reserve is not met item will be relisted." but I don't think that means anything that can change the fact that the seller is obligated to sell to you at the price you won the auction for.

For an eBay auction (that isn't motior vehicles), the "reserve" is the price which you list the item at - the lowest price you are prepared to sell the item for.

This guy owes you a basin.

If he will not allow you to pick up, your options with eBay are to report him as a non performing seller, but eBay can not force the sale. To force the sale (and make the seller honour the legally binding contract he has made with you) you would have to go through external legal channels.

You missed a word - external, expensive, legal channels

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

well I figured THAT was a given.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply