returning item---2 questions

Hi all.

The last time i returned a faulty item (approx 12 months ago) , the seller  paid the return cost.

Has this policy changed with Paypal or Ebay?

Which is the best platform to lodge a return -----Paypal or Ebay?

Best regards

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

@2611geoff wrote:

Hi all.

The last time i returned a faulty item (approx 12 months ago) , the seller  paid the return cost.

Has this policy changed with Paypal or Ebay?

Which is the best platform to lodge a return -----Paypal or Ebay?

Best regards

If you can show the item is faulty then an eBay case should be opened first, if that fails then go for a Paypal case. The seller should pay return postage for an "item not as descibed".

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Thanks for your reply. In my case the item is defective.
Does that still qualify for the seller paying the return postage?
On the Ebay return item page the only description applicable is "doesn't work or defective"
Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

If the item is defective then that should count as "not as described" unless the item was sold for parts only, so yes, the seller should be paying return postage.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Hi padi ,
There is no "not as described" option in the Ebay list.
That's why i am being cautious.
This is lawyer semantics.
"doesn't work or defective" is not "not as described"
Again , thanks for your input----lets see if anyone else can chime in.
Caio
Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Given you have already stated it is defective, I'm guessing that 'defective' would be a legitimate reason.

At best, you are overthinking things.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

Yes there is a "not as described" part - though eBay has changed the definitions for returns a lot since I've had to do one.

Capture.PNG

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

I found this a really interesting thread. I've never had to return an item so had never seen the list of reasons why someone can return something and it is a lot longer than I expected.

I do suspect you would have to be careful exactly what you ticked.

The first few reasons sound to me very much as if they are catering for the ebay plus members, as if i have it right, I believe they are able to return an ebay plus item for any reason and their postage cost is covered.

For non ebay plus members or people buying something not covered with ebay plus though, a return for most of the first few reasons would be a change of mind return where the buyer paid return postage costs.

As long as your seller is in Australia though, I think the seller should be liable for your return postage costs because the item is defective and it sounds as if the ad implied it was working or without fault. That'sa  very different thing to change of mind.

You're best, as others have said, to start with an ebay claim. I am pretty sure, from all I have read, that if you tick 'Doesn't match descriptions or photos', that that should work & the seller would have to issue a return postage label. 

What i would also love to know though is if several of the other bottom categories would also work that way. To my mind they should. Surely if you ticked 'doesn't work or is defective' or 'wrong item sent' or indeed any of the last 5 or 6 reasons, that should qualify for a seller paid return postage.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

The first few reasons sound to me very much as if they are catering for the ebay plus members, as if i have it right, I believe they are able to return an ebay plus item for any reason and their postage cost is covered.

I think you're spot on with the first 5 options springy in that they are probably more for eBay Plus members who could get free return postage. The next 5 certainly relate to INAD claims, as does the last one - but as we know authenticity has to be backed up by 3rd party verification by the maker or authorised reseller, which is almost impossible to obtain.

As I said, last time I had an INAD claim many years ago there was very few boxes to choose from.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Hi , thanks for your replies.

I've decided to select,

O Doesn't match description or photos.

This is what was stated in the sellers description

This generic board we are selling is Arduino-Compatible with the official Arduino Mega 2560, and there is no operational difference (uses the same 16U2 AVR for USB connection, unlike some cheap clone boards).

I will also note in my reason why , is that the board i bought is defective.
I was able to test it and the crystal / ceramic resonator is way out of spec.

I believe i have covered both bases.

Any thoughts ?
Message 10 of 12
Latest reply