seller cancels listing after I won

I always thought a seller could not cancel a listing ( certainly not after completion of the auction ) unless the buyer agreed to it.

This is obviously not the case anymore. I recently put  bid on something and won it ( only bid ) , then the seller messaged me saying he wanted to cancel the ebay sale and sell it to me privately for the same amount ( it was going to be a cash on pick up as local ) .

However , I received a notification from ebay saying the seller had cancelled the listing and just wanted me to acknowledge if I had paid or received a refund - I had no option with accepting or denying the cancellation.

I thought this wrong - to me that means any seller can list an item for auction , and if it doesnt achieve a sufficient price , they can simply cancel the sale. Surely that can't be right.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: seller cancels listing after I won

Now I get a message from ebay saying reason was ( buyer requested to cancel the order ) - how do I dispute that?

I am not sure if that is left on my records.

I am thinking of contacting ebay directly then.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Click decline on the cancelation request. It will still cancel but the seller won't get their fees refunded.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

@cnsystemsaustralia wrote:

I always thought a seller could not cancel a listing ( certainly not after completion of the auction ) unless the buyer agreed to it.

This is obviously not the case anymore. I recently put  bid on something and won it ( only bid ) , then the seller messaged me saying he wanted to cancel the ebay sale and sell it to me privately for the same amount ( it was going to be a cash on pick up as local ) .

However , I received a notification from ebay saying the seller had cancelled the listing and just wanted me to acknowledge if I had paid or received a refund - I had no option with accepting or denying the cancellation.

I thought this wrong - to me that means any seller can list an item for auction , and if it doesnt achieve a sufficient price , they can simply cancel the sale. Surely that can't be right.

I think I would be thanking my Lucky Stars. The Seller sounds Dodgey. 

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Seems to me that eBay are getting rid of all the wrong sellers. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

You're disappointed but haven't lost any money, so as someone said previously, thank your lucky stars.

I'd resign myself to avoiding this seller in future (you'll only get ripped off one way or another by the sounds of it) and let eBay know that he or she is acting pretty suspiciously.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

You have already said the seller wants to cancel the sale and sell to you privately as cash on pickup.

It sounds to me as though he wants to cancel the sale to get his fees back from ebay.

I have a feeling that you would still get your item if you are prepared to break the rules as the seller is doing.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply