seller refused to give refund unless I cancelled Paypal dispute

Woman Frustrated I hunted around for a specific item I needed - found one on a site run by a major hardware chain. Checked all details - size, postage, returns, etc. Finally arrived - but was wrong size, PLUS they had charged me TRIPLE postage (item weighed 425 grams). Realise I should have picked this up at time of paying, just slipped through as I was purchasing a few things from different sellers.

Contacted seller - took three emails before they said they would 'arrange a collection at a suitable time and pick up point'. I specifically went back and asked them what I needed to do for return address, etc. Again was told they would advise me. Waited and waited - heard nothing until my local Aust Post office rang me rather tersely to say that one of their drivers had been to my house three times for a pick up but no one was there. Obviously as I was at work. I told them I would drop in item the next morning.

Did so - they had tracking label, and I got tracking number. Goods arrived at seller 3 days after posting. A week later someone from the seller customer service section rang me. Told me that they could not give a refund until I cancelled the Paypal dispute! I But - if I cancelled the Paypal dispute, how would I get my money back? Just on their word? I wouldn't have a leg to stand on. I questioned person in detail but she was adamant - that was the only way I would get my refund. When I mentioned about the postage, she said that had been an honest mistake(?), but one they only admitted to after the customer contacted them.

Made a complaint to Paypal, who then sent me an email saying that seller was still requesting I return the item - and this was after they had already signed for it back!! Again, went back to Paypal.  Only after the magic words - CA (Consumer Affairs) and ACCC were stated, did I eventually get my refund. But boy, did I have to fight for it. Lengthy, dreadful purchase, and here I was thinking I would support an Australian Company, rather than going overseas. BIG mistake...BIG mistake...

Message 1 of 2
Latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Re: seller refused to give refund unless I cancelled Paypal dispute

Although it is always better to try and sort things out with the seller direct in this case it may have been better to go through the ebay dispute process to generate the return. Anyway it turned out OK in the end and you were right to refuse to close the Paypal dispute before you had the refund.

There appear to be a multitude of problems buying from large B&M stores when they start to sell their items through ebay, I would avoid like the plague and as most of these stores sell on line anyway I would buy direct so I could use a credit card without a third party and be able to deal direct with he store if things were not right.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 2
Latest reply