sellers with make an offer

desi1976
Community Member

i have been looking at an item with buy it now or make an offer. twice now i have made an offer on this item, the seller never responds and i get an offer expired message. i thought that they had to respond to an offer~is this true or am i wrong? does ebay do anything for sellers like this? why do sellers offer this if they just ignore your offers, why not just decline? my offer was not unreasonable. wondering if i should just go to another seller

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

They might not be getting the messages. Someone made an offer on an item of mine some time ago and I never got the message. I just happened to come and look at my messages after it had expired and saw it there. Thank goodness the buyer was still interested.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

A seller has 2 ways of not accepting an offer.

They can decline it or simply let it expire.

I personally would do the courtesy of letting a buyer know either way.

Also some ebayers only go onto their computer 1-2 times a week.

If they are inclined to either of the above, they may also be lax with the rest of the transaction.

I'd probably look at what else is out there. ๐Ÿ˜‰ 

image host
Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

desi1976
Community Member

thats what my thoughts are. will go to someone else. thanks so much everyone. much appreciated

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

I know that some sellers have the make an offer option on their listings only for those who want to buy multiple quantities, particularly on so called "free" post items.

Also, some sellers will not respond if they consider the offer to be well below the items value (for example, something listed at say aroud the $50 mark, and someone offers $5!)

Personally, I have my make an offer items with a lower limit set on them - if you offer below this amount, it will automatically be rejected.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

wondering if i should just go to another seller

You only get to make three offers.  If you think the seller is a bit tardy then by all means look elsewhere.

A seller has 2 ways of not accepting an offer.

They can decline it or simply let it expire.

I personally would do the courtesy of letting a buyer know either way.

Also some ebayers only go onto their computer 1-2 times a week.

If they are inclined to either of the above, they may also be lax with the rest of the transaction.

I'd probably look at what else is out there. ๐Ÿ˜‰ 

They actually have three, as making a counteroffer is technically not accepting the first offer. I made an offer on two things recently by the same seller and both expired. It was good, because I didn't want them for more than my offer price and was happy to let it go.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Unless itโ€™s a unique item, I think the seller is taking a huge risk setting the price too high in rejecting offers.

I just made three offers on an item with a seller. I actual offered a little over the price recommended as the price for this coin.

The thing is the value of the coin recommended is $125, I offered $130 add postage and itโ€™s than $145.00 however when I asked what they would accept they told me $150. Add postage and that jumps to $165. Way too much so I looked around and bought one that is on open Auction for way less.

I think sometimes the sellers get a little too greedy and miss the point of what the value of something truly is.

Look around eBay is a big place and there are lots of bargains to be had!!!

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply