what does payment pending in ebay on item purchased, mean, but successfully paid in paypal

Hello All, 

Purchased an item yesteday, proceeded as it normally does. Status showed as paid.  Just noticed in purchase history here in ebay, it now says 'payment pending'  It did not say that yesterday.

Paypal shows successful payment, though not retrieved from a/c yet.  Did not use paypal 'echeck'  Purchase proceeded as it normally

does. 

What does the payment pending status mean? Why was paid status changed to 'payment pending' status?  This has not occurred in all the years on ebay.  Could this be another ebay glitch?

Thank you, Kind regards, Deborah.  

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

what does payment pending in ebay on item purchased, mean, but successfully paid in paypal

Was the payment funded by a credit card? Sometimes an instant payment funded that way will go through additional checks. 

eg Every now and then, a cleared PP payment will suddenly be put under review by PayPal, and I am advised not to post the item until their review is complete - I am not sure what happens to the payment status from the buyer's end, but I don't have access to the funds during that time, which may then result in a "pending" status on eBay. 

The review can take up to 48 hours, and appears to be another facet of their anti-fraud, anti-money laundering protocols, though I suspect the payments selected for review are often random, rather than there being something specific (or suspicious) that triggers it.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

To add, if it's a new seller they may not have upgraded their PayPal account to Premier so they can accept payments.

Or at times a seller needs to manually accept the payment.

Perhaps send a message suggesting they check their PayPal account.

image host
Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Thank you Digital*Ghost.  No, not CC funded.  Thank you for explaining what the payment pending status may be. 

Kind regards, Deborah 

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Thank you Kopenhagen5.  I had a look at the sellers information.  Less than a year on Ebay.  Plenty of sales. 99.8% feedback

Item says located in Melbourne, Australia.  Will do as you suggest, and contact the seller.  Thanks again, Kind regards, Deborah

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Update...  The payment pending status has now changed back to 'Paid'.  However, the Paid status states item was paid on 3rd February. Which is totally incorrect.  Was paid on the 1st.  Immediately, as we always do. Have printed out the paypal receipt for proof. 

It is also the 2nd of February as I type this, 10pm WA Perth time.  

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

It is 2.02am here in Sydney and ebay runs on NSW time.

Don't worry too much about the Payment Pending status.  If you paid with funds from a bank account it will show as Pending until it clears from your account unless ou also have a credit card attached to paypal when it will clear instantly.

It is not uncommon for paypal to use bank account funding even when a credit card is chosen.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Kopes, I had to upgrade to a Premier Account before I could list anything.  As soon as I pressed "sell" I had to upgrade, so presume that would still be the case. I would think the funds are held because it is a new Seller. I seem to remember something like that happening to me.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Thanks Lyndal,  I contacted the seller and asked them if there was any issue.  There was not with them. Item has been posted with tracking. Showed as paid successfully with them.  They said they contacted ebay.  They were told it is a technical glitch. 

It is back to saying 'payment pending'  Payment has cleared from the bank.  In all the years of being Ebay members, this has never happened.  Currently, seems to be only with this Seller.  Everything else is currently ok. Kind regards, Deborah.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply