why are we seeing so many misleading titles

As a seller myself I am so careful to describe and then of course add perfect picture... But seeing so many title advertising two completely differnet items in header

Then in other cases have been caught myself by buying an item with a phot as example nice red top to find it arrive and be faded look pink...

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I totally agree, but can only give you my thoughts. Idiots? They don't preview their listing before putting it up? Deliberately want to mislead? Maybe none, or all of the above.  I once bought a piece of fabric.  Nice yellow flowers on a brown background, nice clear photo. After purchase, I noticed that the heading said it was pink flowers on white. (stupid me, should have read the description, but in my defence, shouldn't the picture of the colour be self expanatory??) I thought the description must be a mistake.  Queried it with the seller, who informed me that it was indeed pink and white. How on earth does it then show clearly in the picture as yellow and brown, and why did she llist it like this ?? My monitor is spot on with colours for other things I buy. I can only shake my head, as I'm sure you would too.  My suggestion, don't try to figure some people out, it is a total waste of time, and you will never reach any logical conclusions anyway. Your time is better spent doing something more constructive.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

I feel your pain. I have had slightly similar experiences.

I once bought a top. It was advertised as used lightly, excellent condition & showed a lovely photo but when I got the top, although it looked almost new, the pattern placement was nothing like in the photo. Same pattern but extreme different placement and had I known what it really looked like, I would never have bought it.

That was back in the days before paypal and I didn't say or do anything but I was disappointed..

I believe it happened as they used a stock type photo from the catalogue rather than taking a photo of the actual garment. 

Maybe that is what some of these other sellers are doing.

But times have moved on. I wouldn't meekly put up with it these days. If the photo clearly shows one thing and you get another, I would try for a not as described claim.

I understand that in your case the title listed the correct colour but the photo should show what you are buying. The only exception I would give to that is new products where there is a drop down menu that clearly forces you to make a colour or size choice before you can order.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

yep, got caught myself buying a set of tyres for a model car, the picture was for the exact tyres i wanted. nothing in the wording of the title or decription led me to think the advert was for a different tyre.

only the price was quite low, but hey, ive bought items with low prices many many times and recieved exactly what i thought i was getting.

left neg feedback, never even got messaged by the seller. so i can only assume he didnt care and he did it just to catch buyers out.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Are you sure you're not seeing ebay's new 'composite' ads that are made up using a combination of the words in several different sellers' listing titles for the same item?

Once you recognise what those listings are about it's easy enough to click for more details of one of the original listings but it's easy to be fooled by them at the start.
Message 5 of 5
Latest reply