1990's Australian $2 coins

There are sellers on ebay selling $2 coins that were minted in the 90's saying that they are mules and errors as they have a double rim.

Most of the $2 coins minted in the 90's were pressed/stamped that way and they're by no means an error or a mule coin.

Don't be fooled into thinking otherwise and I wish these sellers would stop trying to sell these coins as mules lol.

I've sent these sellers, most are newbies, messages letting them know what they have isn't an error or a mule and lol some have sent back abusive messages lol telling me to butt out and I don't know what I'm on about haha.

So just be weary of these coins as they're just normal $2 coins minted in the 90's.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

There seems to be an influx of really bad coin sellers popping up on ebay of late,I just hope that no one gets sucked into their dishonest ways.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Ebay gets rid of decent sellers but lets bad sellers open up other selling accounts to get around their bad ways, well done ebay.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

Oh those coins I spend. The only 1990 coins worth selling are 1990, 93, 98 and 2000 as they are low mint, but the off centres are very common. And I do not know of any mules from the 1009s, but errors are more avaliable than not.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

I try and point out to these sellers that what they have is a coin that has been minted off center which was very common of the $2 coins in the 90's and are only worth the value which is $2 lol but they insist with really bad language that I mind my own business lol.

But when I see $$ or even $$$ in these listings it just revs me up knowing that some innocent person is going to get sucked in and buy these coins.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

marwi_3023
Community Member
As an amateur coin collector I'd appreciate some clarification.
A 1966 one cent piece with a double rim error is an error and a 1990's two dollar with a double rim error isn't.
Or both aren't?
Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Rarity and desirability. The same as any collectible.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

marwi_3023
Community Member
Doesn't answer my question.
Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

If one is a rare example of a fault, and people are prepared to pay a premium for an example, and the other is a common example of a fault, and people aren't prepared to pay a premium, that is your answer.

I won't be doing research or due diligence for you.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

marwi_3023
Community Member

Didn't answer my question again.
I'm not asking about what makes an item desirable.
I'm asking why one is an error and the other isn't.
When they appear to be the same thing.
Commonality surely doesn't change the status of an error.
Surely if every single example was the same then it isn't an error but just because a high proportion are double rim and there are examples without double rim then the double rim is by definition an error.
I wasn't asking about their value.
Just because you can't comprehend my question doesn't make me wrong.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply