30 c Stamps

Thought this maybe best place to ask, apologies if not, but what is the go with the 30c stamps recently issued by Australia Post around the time of the price increse to $1..... I see some UNUSED Stamps being sold BUT alos USED 30c Stamps seeling for a lot more. I would of thought the unused would be a better price but doesn't appear to be as I have seen bids (quiet high) on a single USED stamp but not many bids if at all on the unused ones.....I do understand they were a special issue or something, but why the huge differnce in used & unused?

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: 30 c Stamps

You are probably seeing the 30c Adelaide stamps.

AP didn't produce these but were counter printed by Adelaide.

The value of these appear to be over the top as they are not really emergency stamps as some seem to think but were only produced in small numbers.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/money/costs/stamp-collectors-mad-over-emergency-stamps/news-story/9c4...

image host
Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

As kopenhagen has said, there are numerous news reports on these "emergency"  stamps and the prices they are making. I am not a stamp person; having a quick look at sold prices realised on eBay I couldn't really see any where a used stamp made more than about two thirds of the price of the same design mint stamp. I would be guessing that the reason the used stamps are making such good money would be because of the perceived rarity of these stamps (no-one it appears really knows how many were printed over what seems to be just a 2-3 day period). Also perhaps the fact that as soon as the canny stamp folk realised what was happening they swooped and bought up the unused stock, making stamps that had actually been USED that bit more special. Who knows?

Sadly it is rare to see a stamp person posting on these boards anymore; they have apparently gone elsewhere.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

These 30c Adelaide emergency stamps stil on original commercial letters, show the purpose they were issued and sell at a premium  over mint single copies.

Most desirable are covers (as intact envelopes are known) from the 6th to 8th of January and such covers are likely to fetch $1,500 +++

Regards

Steve

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply