Anyone sending coins, notes etc to the UK?

Hi, I am considering letting bidders in the UK and US bid on some of my auctions. However when I checked the Auspost website it says there are restrictions on sending currency in any form to the UK - http://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/international-post-guide.html#/GB/restrictions. Same website for the US mentions no similar restrictions on currency.

When I checked the corresponding UK website it says only conterfeit currency cannot be send in the UK but it isn't clear about what can be sent into the UK from overseas.

There are plenty of sellers who sell  "Worldwide" so I would like to hear about any real life experiences from sellers who have sent to the UK.

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Counterfeit is a no no.

However most postal services will allow currency as collectables especially if they are vintage.

I send new banknotes to both UK and USA.

The restrictions are in place to prevent individuals from sending legal tender for that purpose or large amounts of cash for obvious reasons as opposed to collectables not intended for use.

Looking at your previous sales you tend to sell minted coins not intended for circulation but only as collectables.

Your main hurdle is the postage costs because you would want to send via trackable means.

image host
Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

Kopes has given you some good advice. I don't sell notes and coins but I do sell Internationally. You sell some very high priced items. eBay has not yet updated its International shipping options - even though they changed a long time ago. For items over ยฃ750 (UK) or US$750 (USA) eBay requires on-line signature on delivery as well as tracking - you would need to choose Express Courier International, which will give you the same cost as the appropriate up to date service (which is called Express International Post). For lesser value items you need to choose Express Post International, which is the same cost as the up to date service Standard International Post, which gives you on-line tracking. I add $3-5 handling cost to cover eBay's FVF for postage. I find that if International buyers really want an item they are not concerned about the cost of postage, as long as it is clearly indicated on the listing. I do not post anything overseas by an untracked method that has a value higher than $20. Good luck if you decide to give it a try.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Thanks to both of you for your informative replies.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply