Are these collectable or a novelty.

go-tazz
Community Member

Are these collectable or are they something else,(the whole bundle together).

I know the US money is still legal tender,(even the small dollar bill says legal tender) and that some of the

European money isn't but as a combined lot is it saleable?

The Hell money is only a "novelty" item.

How would you post them?

IMG_3362.JPG

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yes, they are collectables.

Not anything of great value there (except larger us notes) and condition looks poor, looks like tourist money from the 1960's - 1970's.

I would put it up as a lot as auction on the USA site starting at 99 cents for 10 days, except for the US 10 and US 20's. List them individually, some state issues are rarer then others. List starting as face value on the USA site.

I usually send low value notes by regular post $3 and high value Registered $15.

image host

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Yes, they are collectables.

Not anything of great value there (except larger us notes) and condition looks poor, looks like tourist money from the 1960's - 1970's.

I would put it up as a lot as auction on the USA site starting at 99 cents for 10 days, except for the US 10 and US 20's. List them individually, some state issues are rarer then others. List starting as face value on the USA site.

I usually send low value notes by regular post $3 and high value Registered $15.

image host
Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Thanks,Kopes,good.gif

Don't want to deal with the US site so that's not an option,blush-1.gif

Got side tracked checking out the US ones,1 x $1 NY,1 x $20 Rich,1 x $1 Dal,$1,$10 & 2 X $20 SF.

So I'll just list them here at some stage,(as I generally start my listing Thusday night so it goes for 10 days it give me plenty of time), Sunnies.gif

I have what might be "better" stuff to list as well so need to do this so I can get the postage part correct,Corny_cleaning-glasses.gif

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

But tazz, the US site for the US notes makes sense.

In addition to your 40 free per month you get an additional 50 freebies on the US site.

World notes sell much better there because the US site is viewed by all over the world. The Aus site just isn't.

I have regularly listed banknotes and I get zero bids for months on Aus but as soon as listed on eBay USA, they sell.

image host
Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

I don't know about coins & notes, but it's a truism that stamps sell better and usually for significantly more in their own countries.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

But tazz, the US site for the US notes makes sense.

In addition to your 40 free per month you get an additional 50 freebies on the US site.

World notes sell much better there because the US site is viewed by all over the world. The Aus site just isn't.

I have regularly listed banknotes and I get zero bids for months on Aus but as soon as listed on eBay USA, they sell.

Thanks but I've had a look over there and prices don't seem that good for the US ones,(the ones here are

circulated and creased,1980's/90's and not in top nick).

The others are a mix where a "few" of them aren't in great/good nick so probebly not worth much anyway.

Might see what the bank will give me for the US ones,good.gif

I only need to clear them to get something back as the money is to be shared.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Other notes,coins and medallions are mainly Aus ones so the idea was to sell some of these first so that it

establishes the idea that I may have more to sell and maybe get greater interest for those?

That's why I listed the one day covers first to see if there is any interest,(which isn't looking real good at this

stage).

I just don't know with this type of stuff and can't see any other way of clearing it,(it belonged to my MIL and

any money is to be shared by my OH and her 2 brothers).

I had two Elvis dolls pristine in their boxes put away and one of them put stuff on top of them and cracked/broke

the plastic on both boxes,(so loss of value there and other stuff has been the same where they just don't have

any idea of value),stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

Unfortunately one of them seems to think anything collectable will bring a good price,Corny_cleaning-glasses.gif

They way it's going it could take years to clear it all,Angry head bang.gif

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Unfortunately one of them seems to think anything collectable will bring a good price,Corny_cleaning-glasses.gif

And here is your problem. I feel your pain - having helped disperse the collections of relatives and friends over the years, the biggest headache is the know-it-all who thinks they are sitting on a potential gold mine. Anyone who is involved in buying and selling, or anyone who is a serious collector themselves, knows the truth is that an item can be worth a fraction of what was paid for it, depending on fashion, rarity, condition etc. This is particularly true of collectables, which often have no intrinsic value in themselves, are often issued in great numbers, and rely what is "in" at the time (and so may be "out" tomorrow) to sell them.

My advice would be to let this one "Unfortunately one of them seems to think anything collectable will bring a good price" have the garage sale himself; if he makes a fortune he will be able to feel VERY superior (but still has to share his bonanza with his siblings); if he finds it a LITTLE more difficult than he imagined, then he may become a little more reasonable in his approach. Are you (read your OH)  getting anything extra to reimburse you for the expense, time and effort you are putting into clearing the estate?

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

@siddieswans wrote:

And here is your problem. I feel your pain - having helped disperse the collections of relatives and friends over the years, the biggest headache is the know-it-all who thinks they are sitting on a potential gold mine. Anyone who is involved in buying and selling, or anyone who is a serious collector themselves, knows the truth is that an item can be worth a fraction of what was paid for it, depending on fashion, rarity, condition etc. This is particularly true of collectables, which often have no intrinsic value in themselves, are often issued in great numbers, and rely what is "in" at the time (and so may be "out" tomorrow) to sell them.

I've stated that to him from the beginning but he's a "bit" thick when it comes to what things might be worth,(I sold a fishing book for a good price when he visited here and he went straight to the Op shop and bought one that to him should be better as it looked really good).

It is one of those big books that weighs over 3kg and I told him postage alone could be over $20,(he's still going to list it because if I can sell a book for over $40 then so can he),shok.gif

My advice would be to let this one "Unfortunately one of them seems to think anything collectable will bring a good price" have the garage sale himself; if he makes a fortune he will be able to feel VERY superior (but still has to share his bonanza with his siblings);

He's in Sydney and it would be perfect as he'd get more people but he's useless and would put top prices on things,(he also sold his dual cab and now has a small 4 cylinder car and no garage/shed).

if he finds it a LITTLE more difficult than he imagined, then he may become a little more reasonable in his approach.

He's just as likely to to just "drop" a box and say that all the stuff broke but others told him that the stuff was worth more then I said,(he has a bit of I'm better sort of attitude),tease.gif

Are you (read your OH)  getting anything extra to reimburse you for the expense, time and effort you are putting into clearing the estate?

rofl.gif,sorry,my reaction to that comment as he expects us to do it as he hasn't got the time or knowledge to sell anything,(plus no one trusts him to do the right thing),stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

The other BIL is brilliant and has stated that to just sell it for whatever price we can get for the stuff.

The stuff is at his place and we have been selling a bit of the bulkier bits and some other stuff as well as giving

away stuff to the op shops if it doesn't seem to sell or has no interest in it,(the "new" Op shop here is happy to

be getting it).

They've received over 200 magazines and over 60 books so far,(as well as a few odds and ends),good.gif

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply