Early Lithgow?

Anonymous
Not applicable

013.JPG012.JPG011.JPG010.JPG009 - Copy.JPG

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew who made this pottery fern and frog mug.  It has been suggested, on Facebook, that it may be an early Lithgow.  I have found other Lithgow pieces with ferns on.

Thanks

Message 1 of 2
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Early Lithgow?

I have the Ian Evans Lithgow Pottery book which I think is still regarded as the definitive Lithgow work. There is a majolica jug (not mug) with raised fern pattern listed in the 1889 catalogue and a colour photo is shown of one on page 7. However it is solid majolica glaze, not with the fern picked out in green; the caneware type body and handle on your example are not like anything else to be found in the book. I have never heard of Lithgow making this kind of frog / toad / surprise mug, but I am no expert.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2
Latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Early Lithgow?

I have the Ian Evans Lithgow Pottery book which I think is still regarded as the definitive Lithgow work. There is a majolica jug (not mug) with raised fern pattern listed in the 1889 catalogue and a colour photo is shown of one on page 7. However it is solid majolica glaze, not with the fern picked out in green; the caneware type body and handle on your example are not like anything else to be found in the book. I have never heard of Lithgow making this kind of frog / toad / surprise mug, but I am no expert.

Message 2 of 2
Latest reply