Fake Centenary Florins

I have been looking at some of the Centenary Florins on here and comparing them with a site giving details on how to tell real ones from the fakes as far back as 2009.   Clearly if the advice on how to tell them is accurate..no reason to think it not..a number of current florins for sale here are fakes going for $hundreds when they are worthless. See http://www.australian-threepence.com/blog/2009/11/identifying-a-counterfeit-193435-centenary-florin....  
This is very concerning and I certainly will not buy one here. Except from a known  "expert" dealer who do not appear to have these fakes from what I have checked. 

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Fake Centenary Florins

They are still going with this listing 322637687096 and the other ones they have are also fakes as well as the NGC slabbed gold kangaroo coin which I have contacted NGC about.

I have placed a couple of my own florin listings for buyers to read to identify the fakes and have had a number of buyers contacting me to thank me as they were bidding on or going to bid on the fake coins so saved a few of them from losing their money.

Unfortunately there are still so many getting scammed every day.

Message 11 of 29
Latest reply

Fake Centenary Florins

The 34-35 Centenary florin that recently sold for $651 is obviously fake to an experienced eye.

There are guides to help discern the differences between known fakes and genuine coins and they are excellent, but those of us that have been collecting coins for several decades know what the real thing looks like - and from what I see on eBay today - some are rubbish and some are genuine. It takes a few seconds to spot a fake and it's the obverse that tells the story.

The scammers buy the slabs here:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-PCS-Lot-New-High-Quality-PCCB-PROFESSIONAL-COIN-DISPLAY-SLAB-Coin-...

They buy the fake coin here:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1934-35-Australian-Centenary-Florin-George-V-UNC/755339616.html

..and the rest is history.

I see 'Gold Krugerrands' selling for about $1800 which are gold plated tungsten garbage.

I also see a skilfully crafted 1d 1930 penny forgery which is acording to the seller 'genuine' and is actually 'not geniune'.

eBay's policy is caveat emptor.

Message 12 of 29
Latest reply

Fake Centenary Florins

Fake Centenary Florins

That 2009 article in the coin blog used coins supplied by me.

I noticed a seller with over 100 Melbourne Centenary florins and 1938 crowns listed and thought, hang on, no-one has these sort of quantities of these rare coins. As a long time dealer, I usually only handle 10-20 Melb florins and 1938 crowns in an entire year.

Back then, you could see who had bought from the seller and contact them, so I did.

Several were customers of mine or knew me, and I got them to post to me for examination several Melbourne Centenary florins and 1938 crowns this person had sold them.

All were fakes and this person had sold dozens of them and NO-ONE had picked it up.

As regards to weight. Melb Centenary florins nearly always come along in higher grades, and have lost virtually no weight to wear.

They were saved by the public and not spent, because they cost three shillings to buy on a two shilling face value. They always weigh in the range of about 11.27 to 11.31 grams.

There are some professional dealers and good sellers on eBay.

There are also a lot of shonks, rouges and crooks, that spoil it for everyone.

Buy rare coins from professionals. You pay a bit more, but at least you usually get what you paid for..

Message 14 of 29
Latest reply

Fake Centenary Florins

Any experienced collector of AU predecimal coins can spot a fake 34 Centenary in 10 seconds, probably less.

The current situation is disgusting.

Three 'dealers' currently trading two of whom have large 100% feedback scores are career criminals.

ALL Australian coins remain legal tender despite being withdrawn from circulation and federal police will be saying hi to certain people on eBay soon enough.

Message 15 of 29
Latest reply

Fake Centenary Florins

Bought five fakes from China, $1 each posted.

Weight 8.78 grams each, good detail, shiny.

With a bit of tone applied, difficult for the novice to tell, although clearly underweight.

Message 16 of 29
Latest reply

Fake Centenary Florins

Check out item no. 332564017512. Sure its a fake 1934/35 florin. Bids finish in 4 hrs and already up to $90 or so. Check it out please.
Message 17 of 29
Latest reply

Fake Centenary Florins

Yeah that's a fake.

Message 18 of 29
Latest reply

Fake Centenary Florins

Looks fake.

Lets hope buyers know to have them checked and open a case for refund before the 30 days are up.

Although they have 180 days in PayPal.

image host
Message 19 of 29
Latest reply

Fake Centenary Florins