Fake Centenary Florins

I have been looking at some of the Centenary Florins on here and comparing them with a site giving details on how to tell real ones from the fakes as far back as 2009.   Clearly if the advice on how to tell them is accurate..no reason to think it not..a number of current florins for sale here are fakes going for $hundreds when they are worthless. See http://www.australian-threepence.com/blog/2009/11/identifying-a-counterfeit-193435-centenary-florin....  
This is very concerning and I certainly will not buy one here. Except from a known  "expert" dealer who do not appear to have these fakes from what I have checked. 

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Fake Centenary Florins

1957 2S is a very common coin - any grounds to suspect it?

Message 21 of 29
Latest reply

It was more to see if this seller is selling fakes as Chinese often list location out of Darwin.

The rim of the coin doesn't look good to me and neither does the printed info in the slab.

image host
Message 22 of 29
Latest reply

Yeah some offshore fools do say 'Location:australia' - I had that recently.

I would pay 5 bucks for that florin and a smal premium for the slab, but I don't like the coin. If I'm buying a common coin I'd spend  a few extra cents and buy a proof. I only compromise on rare coins.

I have given up reporting fake stuff, the idiots selling centenary florins and goose 67's etc get reported, their listings are removed and the next day, they're back.

I only collect old pre decimal stuff, I dunno if that's a problem coin or not.

Message 23 of 29
Latest reply

Appears to be a shill account bidding as well.

And this one looks fake to me - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Australian-Silver-Coin-1934-35-Centenary-Florin-C-UNC-/173261793996?hash...

image host
Message 25 of 29
Latest reply

eBay is full of brain dead organisms.

How much IQ does it take to realize that we don't wanna see his carpet and other **bleep** - just the coin?

The usual indicators for the centenary florin - cloak extension to rim, detail of cross pattee, rider, horse, flames, etc are not discernable with that rubbish he calls photography.

I don't even understand the popularity of that coin - I can easily buy it anywhere anytime.

The actual rare stuff are coins like 1915 London florins and 1912 1915h shilings in nice condition - the scarcity of which are hugely underestimated.

Message 26 of 29
Latest reply

There is a seller on eBay selling rare date florins for hundreds of dollars. They are auctioned and they are very good fakes. You have to look very closely at the emu feathers to detect them.

Message 27 of 29
Latest reply

I’ve seen people paying crazy money for older worse quality replicas, and it been advertised and sold as a been a copy..

Message 28 of 29
Latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 29 of 29
Latest reply