Fraudulent buyers

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Fraudulent buyers

I think you should add some details in order for us to be able to help.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Fraudulent buyers

A recent scam: (1) 'Buyer' creates an account on the same day as a purchase. (2) 'Buyer' sends a standard message to further discussion outside ebay - "send me photos of the item to xxxxxxxxx@yyyy.com and write your name on a piece of paper and include it in photos. Some buyers do fake sales" . 

Once away from ebay the "buyer" (likely a bot) will ask for personal ebay details.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Fraudulent buyers

What is your question you need help with?

Other members cannot offer advice with just a comment in the heading

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Fraudulent buyers

It happened to other people too. You should just report and block, although blocking might not even be necessary if the report is successful. These people are not even real buyers - just scammers who want your personal details.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Fraudulent buyers

Sorry about the replies not showing until after I posted

As mentioned, report and block

They are just little bot scammers after your details

There have been several similar posts in the past few days about these 'buyers'

Must be the season for them

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Fraudulent buyers

Yesโ€ฆ Scammers use such photos (or videos) to convince other buyers that they have such an item โ€” but more widely, to โ€œproveโ€ to someone else (another potential scam victim) that they are a particular person. (i.e., you.)  

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Fraudulent buyers

The problem is this. It is easy to cancel a transaction, but any potential buyers (as watchers) are lost as a result of cancelling and relisting.

Blocking a buyer is fine, but these scam buyers have become members on the same day they 'buy' the item but do not pay, then they send messages to initiate a scam (e.e. ask for personal details or ask to operate outside of eBay).

Sure, you can block the scammers after the fact, but they likely will not use that username again. They will create another one for a future 'purchase'.

It would be useful to be able to block same-day eBay users who abuse the purchase process on expensive items.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Fraudulent buyers

If they create another account, you need to report that 

Creating another account to get around blocks is also against policy 

Also report the scam messages , both as outright scams AND wanting to buy an eBay item outside of eBay

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Fraudulent buyers

@westerngold wrote:

The problem is this. It is easy to cancel a transaction, but any potential buyers (as watchers) are lost as a result of cancelling and relisting.

Nope, the potential buyers will see the ended listing and unless they immediately delete it they'll see that you have relisted the item in a note on their ended listing.

Blocking a buyer is fine, but these scam buyers have become members on the same day they 'buy' the item but do not pay, then they send messages to initiate a scam (e.e. ask for personal details or ask to operate outside of eBay).

Easy fix, your listings are all BIN just change that to a BIN with immediate payment - problem solved.

It would be useful to be able to block same-day eBay users who abuse the purchase process on expensive items.

That's never going to happen, buyers with a lot of feedback are just as likely to be non-payers.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 10 of 10
Latest reply