Grandparrot

I  have been sitting here for the last half hour trying to find where I told you we were going to be Grandparrots, can't find it anywhere and can't believe I didn't tell you already.

Well the news is, we are Grandparrots, we have at least one baby parrot, reckon it is a week old, can hear it "chirping" up in the nest box.  Mum and Dad are doing lots of tooing and froing feeding it. Haven't seen it as yet but no doubt we will.  It should have a better chance of surviving this time, the people with the Golden Retrievers, the house at the back of us, are not back in residence as yet, reckon it could be another 3-4 weeks and I would think it will be gone by then.  Only trouble if it lands in our back yard we also have a small dog and she likes to chase the birds, you know what it is like, "this is my yard so get the H#@ll out of it".  Will keep you posted.

Yeah, we are Grandparrots.

Wilma

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Grandparrot

I forgot to say the rosellas don't eat the seed I put for them they only come for the water.

Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

We put out sunflower seed, the rosellas eat it, so do the lorikeets and the pidgeons have a bit as well.  Hard work keeping up the supply.

Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

I hope the rosellas will eat, but I think they are a bit shy at the moment.

Today I had finches, willie wagtail, yellow throated honey eaters, grass parrots, rosellas, crested pidgeons and some noisy minor birds all visit the bird bath.

Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

Bad news I am afraid to tell, we actually had two, that's right two, baby parrotts.  Sadly they have not survived.  We thought the parents were agitated when they came to the nest box morning and night, decided to have a look.  Two babies, both deceased and an unhatched egg.  Don't know what went wrong, maybe the box gets too hot, Neil is busy putting ventilation holes in it and will put it on the other side of the palm and hope that will keep it a bit cooler. Better luck next time, feel sorry for the parrotts, they are trying so hard to be good parents and it is just not working.  Maybe next time.

Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

poor birdies, it has been unseasonly warm.

We had a cold snap hit here a couple of nights ago and now my budgie has a respiratory infection 😞

Poor little bugger looks so miserable. I've brought him inside from the aviary and have antibiotics to give him, but I really don't know if he'll make it through the night.

Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

Pimpy, put a desk light next to his cage to keep him warm.  Not with a LED globe though, a 40w should do the trick.  Hope he pulls through. 😞

~ Mon ~
Message 16 of 16
Latest reply