How to list Royal Albert?

I have some Royal Albert china I wish to list. It consists of 6 trios of the same pattern, which are shown on the RA website as pattern #257 on page 6 of the un-named sets.

RA_trios.jpg

These are the  colours I have:

all_trios.jpg

My question is would it be better to list each trio separately or as the set?

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Excellent photographic work. Would be a shame to waste it. Why don't you try the whole set first? Work out what you think you would get for each trio, add the jug and basin, and add a bit more because it is after all a complete tea set. It would make postage costs a lot simpler too, rather than have each buyer trying to work out what they would be up for if they bought 2 or 3. Myself I don't think a single trio makes sense here - it is not a well-known pattern (like Old Country Roses, Lavender Rose or whatever) for people trying to complete or add to an existing set; and if people want a harlequin setting, that is what they are getting. If the whole set consistently failed to sell, you could always come back to selling trios individually. On the other hand, if you sell off a trio or 2 first, then you haven't got a set left to sell.

But then I'm known to be lazy - I would always try the simplest way (for me) first. Smiley Very Happy

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

If it was me selling these items (which are lovely), I would list them as seperate items.

Someone may just want a particular colour.

If they want the entire set, they can buy them and wait for an invoice from you with the adjusted postage on it.

Hope this helps .

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

While that is a perfectly good reply, if it were me I would try and sell together. Why? Because packing up six different trios is going to be a big pain. It would be so much simpler if you could just do one box. They are very 60's, love the colours, I am sure they will sell well. Postage will be expensive but people who are prepared to pay big for a tea set would expect that. Just find yourself a big enough box (don't forget to measure for cubing.)

If that's your photo, it is a ripper. Don't forget to mention in the title that it is vintage retro 1960's, with the jug and bowl it becomes a harlequin (different colours) tea set for 6. Good luck!

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Interesting to get two such different replies (hence my dilemma).

The lower photo is my own. I photographed all trios separately, and then combined them into one image.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Excellent photographic work. Would be a shame to waste it. Why don't you try the whole set first? Work out what you think you would get for each trio, add the jug and basin, and add a bit more because it is after all a complete tea set. It would make postage costs a lot simpler too, rather than have each buyer trying to work out what they would be up for if they bought 2 or 3. Myself I don't think a single trio makes sense here - it is not a well-known pattern (like Old Country Roses, Lavender Rose or whatever) for people trying to complete or add to an existing set; and if people want a harlequin setting, that is what they are getting. If the whole set consistently failed to sell, you could always come back to selling trios individually. On the other hand, if you sell off a trio or 2 first, then you haven't got a set left to sell.

But then I'm known to be lazy - I would always try the simplest way (for me) first. Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

I have had a look at what sort of prices the Sold trios get, and they vary quite a bit (I guess according to pattern). Anywhere from $10 to $100 or even more. I think I will list these as an auction rather than a BIN, as I have no idea how much the set will go for. Thank you for helping me decide the best way to go - as the complete set, at least initially.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Oh yes, auction certainly. Royal Albert is not my sort of thing (but maybe it should be - look at how they sell!) Yours is very different from the Roses and pretty flower sets that seem to be all the go - along with the pastels they are producing now. You will have your own idea about what you should start at - I would be thinking $50 a trio plus sugar/creamer and then it IS a set - maybe $350? Although maybe that's a bit greedy - $299? I just think the retro colours and shape will be very appealing and your great photos will certainly make it stand out. (I am assuming perfect condition.)

Anyway let us know how you go.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

I've just sold this set tonight, and am a bit disappointed with the result - just one bid at the starting price of $120 for the set. Lots and lots of views (more than 75) and 7 watchers. Just thought you might like to know.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Yes I think that is disappointing but unfortunately it reflects current conditions. The bottom seems to have fallen out of the "afternoon tea" market, and vintage ceramics and glass are getting harder and harder to sell. A look at what is for sale might help to explain it - 1300 "vintage trios" currently  for sale in Oz - 252 sold in the last 3 months. With competition like that, I sometimes wonder how I manage to sell anything at all! Sadly watchers can mean nothing - often I think that watchers may have something similar they want to value. Yes views are good - but then they need to translate to more than one bidder. Sorry it didn't do better for you.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply