Mint Coin Roll wasn't what it was supposed to be!

I purchased a 2013 $2 coin mint roll the other day thinking that all the 25 coins in the roll were all 2013 $2 coins as I thought they would be.But as I decided to open the roll up I found that the coins were from different years dating from 2002-2013.I thought that mint rolls were supposed to be from the year they are minted? Maybe this was just a one-off? any thoughts?

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

"Mint rolls", as in rolls actually made by the Mint (with "Royal Australian Mint" printed on the wrapper) ceased normal circulation production many years ago. In recent years, some "mint rolls" of special issue commemorative coins, such as the Scouts and Girl Guides dolalrs, have been made available for sale.

But apart from that, all "rolls" are now made by the security companies. Security company rolls are made using whatever coins they have on hand. If they've received a couple of boxes of coins fresh from the Mint, then the rolls will be as close to "mint rolls" as you can get these days. But the rolls could just as easily be from coins sourced from banks or elsewhere in circulation, which will contain a mixture of dates.

As far as I know, 2013 $2 coins have not been sold in mint rolls, only in little bags of 5 coins. So a roll containing a 2013 $2 is going to be a company-wrapped roll.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I've just come to a conclusion that it was a mixed mint roll as I'm not to fussed about it because all the coins were in mint condition and I only paid what the coins are worth so I'm happy.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

"Mint rolls", as in rolls actually made by the Mint (with "Royal Australian Mint" printed on the wrapper) ceased normal circulation production many years ago. In recent years, some "mint rolls" of special issue commemorative coins, such as the Scouts and Girl Guides dolalrs, have been made available for sale.

But apart from that, all "rolls" are now made by the security companies. Security company rolls are made using whatever coins they have on hand. If they've received a couple of boxes of coins fresh from the Mint, then the rolls will be as close to "mint rolls" as you can get these days. But the rolls could just as easily be from coins sourced from banks or elsewhere in circulation, which will contain a mixture of dates.

As far as I know, 2013 $2 coins have not been sold in mint rolls, only in little bags of 5 coins. So a roll containing a 2013 $2 is going to be a company-wrapped roll.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

You are spot on with your answer,because I ordered it through a bank and when I told them what I found the bank gave me the same response as you have.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

the rolls packaged by security companies are called "security rolls".  "mint rolls" are  rolls packaged by RAMint. 

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Buyers need to be very aware of any rolls that have plain wrapping, most are likely to be fakes and only the end coins as shown, if in doubt tell the seller you intend to d=send to Cotton & Co and get them certified, and if they are not as described you will be demanding a refund.

Cotton & Co videos all thet do so it is failsafe

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE INFORMATION 

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply