Shill bidding

What does it take for eBay to act on multiple reports of shill bidding?? There is a scammer in the UK selling fake German militaria from at least three accounts. All his items get dozens of bids,sell to  "protected identity" bidders and then turn up again a little later on another one of the accounts. I've reported the items many many times,called eBay and given them the user ID's and still the guy keeps going unhindered and even abused me when I called him out on his scams. Unbelievable! There's another one in the US who does the same with fake antique swords. Who can have any confidence in the site when this fraud is going on?

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Shill bidding

How long since you reported the seller/items to eBay?

And how did you do so?

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Shill bidding

Today by the "report item" button on a listing,plus last week for the abuse and also about two weeks ago by phone for the shill bidding.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Shill bidding

"All his items get dozens of bids,sell to "protected identity" bidders........"

Do you mean the bidders have "private feedback" or the listings are "private listings" ?

As you are also selling militaria eBay may see it as a competitor trying to knock the opposition, IF it is shill bidding then eBay should still be investigating it and taking action however.

Could you give an item number of one of the listings ?

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Shill bidding

If you were able to contact eBay by phone, you may need to try that again

But ask for a supervisor this time

Regular cs staff just read from a pre-written script on their screen, and most will tell the caller what they want to hear (ie, they will escalate the report etc) to get rid of the caller (as do 'chat' cs)

The supervisor should also be able to see the abusive message from the seller (something I doubt base level cs staff would have access to)

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Shill bidding

And stay away from those listings, no matter how much you may want the items.

image host
Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Shill bidding

@padi*0409 wrote:

"All his items get dozens of bids,sell to "protected identity" bidders........"

Do you mean the bidders have "private feedback" or the listings are "private listings" ?

As you are also selling militaria eBay may see it as a competitor trying to knock the opposition, IF it is shill bidding then eBay should still be investigating it and taking action however.

Could you give an item number of one of the listings ?

I think the OP  means private listings - something like this:

Screenshot 2022-07-06 130554.png

It is not necessarily a sign of shill bidding. There are also honest sellers who make their listings private, but of course it can also be misused. 

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Shill bidding

Yes that's it.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply