What's the best reference book for porcelain/pottery makers etc?

I'm wanting to learn more about this & was after suggestions on a good reference book to identify porcelain/pottery makers, markings etc.

Even any good websites?

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: What's the best reference book for porcelain/pottery makers etc?

It's a massive field.

for antique chinese/japanese porcelain

http://www.gotheborg.com/index.htm

for Australian Pottery

search australian potters marks, australian pottery, Bemboka

many books written on the subject, most useful Encyclopaedia of Australian Potters marks by Geoff Ford

Just a beginning.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Depends on if you are you looking at predominantly Aussie or overseas pottery?

~ Mon ~
Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Hi strat

marks4ceramics.com is also excellent and depending on how many tings you want to identify you can subscribe monthly for $10 ( yearly it's $100 with 2 months free)

They have a multitude of marks from all over

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Thanks...Australian Pottery is a favourite, but also want to learn more about NZ & English porcelain/pottery.

I often browse the Op shops & see some things that have slipped through the so called 'experts' & are priced at very low prices. But I cant buy everything thinking that its a bargain!

I did pick up a small Japanese side dish for one dollar last week which turns out to be Juzan Gama signature. Its a beautiful blue flower pattern & in excellent condition. I had no idea what it was until I got home to the internet.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

sheila-post
Community Member

You can't go wrong with the Schiffer reference books:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=schiffer+pottery

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

I have about a zillion reference books but find Miller's Pocket Guide Pottery & Porcelain Marks by Gordon Lang very handy because it lists marks under so many headings - Single Letters, Initials, Monograms etc and then by Graphic Marks, Devices etc - so if your mark has a crown or an anchor or a knot, you can start to look for it under that section. It covers European, UK, USA  - has a very small section on Chinese and Japanese marks. There is a revised updated 2007 edition. I got mine from that wonderful Canberra bookshop Clouston & Hall VERY cheaply; they are wonderful for reference books of all kinds at remarkable prices.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Thanks so much everyone - you've been very helpful.

Have looked at the websites mentioned & have found out so much already!

Siddieswans, I've ordered the Millers pocket Guide to get me started - Thanks again.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

There is currently a copy of "Encyclopaedia of British Pottery & Porcelain Marks" up for auction if you are interested.

~ Mon ~
Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Thanks mon, I now have it on my watch list.

Looks like it might have some keen bidders.

The other book I ordered was out of stock so I'm on a waiting list for that!

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply