help with this Lithgow Pottery mug please

Who made this please? And when?

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

hiya, I just had a look in Geoff Fords ency 2. The mark on yours does not appear in his book unless of course its in his first book of markings.

Lithgow is under the kangaroo which is facing the other way to yours, the other marks with kangaroos on have a circle around them with TRADE MARK written inside.

Maybe its a workmans piece ?

Maybe one of the other boardies can help further.

Cheers

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

As far as I can remember these pieces were produced either by a company occupying the old Lithgow site or nearby. Probably in the mid 1980's after Ian Evans book was published.

There is also a black face mug which appears from time to time.

The polite term for this piece would be a Fantasy rather than a Fake as the original Lithgow pottery never made anything remotely like your Jug.

It is lost in the mists of time whether the intention of the maker was to decieve the collector or just trade new wares off an old name.

Hope that helps.

Tim

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

Also, the "story" I heard about them being made in Lithgow could well be just that, a story.

It is just as likely they were mass produced overseas.

Tim

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

Thanks Tim and Ewes, we could tell it was newish and I could remember some story but nothing else.

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

Thanks Tim.  That's what I remember too.

~ Mon ~
Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

I too can recall a discussion about this stamp but I thought someone up in northern NSW was making them.

Was it Be who had a piece with that stamp?

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

Hi Nanny! :-x

I know someone up north of NSW was making daily bread plates (don't you have one?) but I'm not sure about this face jug and the black face mug.

Be has or had a flowerpot with the Lithgow Kangaroo on the front of it (the things you remember hey?!). I know I thought it was a fake back when I saw it years ago but I think it has a different mark to this piece.

Tim

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

Hello there young Tim,

Yes I do have one of the nothern NSW Give Us This Day Our Daily Bread platters which I purchased as a curiosity piece.

I do see what you mean about Be's flowerpot now, being a different stamp to the one on Terri's mug.

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

Thank you all for the interesting discussion and reminder. I knew there was something but couldn't remember what.

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply