help with this Lithgow Pottery mug please

Who made this please? And when?

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: help with this Lithgow Pottery mug please, Re: help with this Lithgow Pottery mug please

I know people are going to jump down my throat BUT, lol, I still think Australian Pottery looks like stuff made for a highschool project. You can all now beat me with your aus pottery knowledge sticks.

Message 11 of 17
Latest reply

Re: help with this Lithgow Pottery mug please, Re: help with this Lithgow Pottery mug please

Tell you what nanny, how about i hold the door open with a lump of aus pottery..lol.

Come on no need to be nasty. Just saying what they look like to me.

I have only seen a few items that I like, one being a coffee set by Arthur Boyd the other a Daisy Merton vase.

Message 12 of 17
Latest reply

Hi bsal,

At least that is a start to seeing things that you like.

Which type of DV Merton vase did you like?  I mean, how was it decorated?  Flowers, birds, landscape?

What did the AMB coffe set look like? Same question really...how was it decorated?

Between a few of us on this board I am sure that we could show you similar things or better even. Would you enjoy that?

Sorry for all of the questions but like nanny I think if you had seen as much variety as us you would think a bit harder about the subject,

Pip

Message 13 of 17
Latest reply

thems fighting words on this board bsal, you ought to know that.

i remember mentioning here casually that my parents had some black diana indigenous themed plates on the wall (i now know they may have been norm sherrat, i hope i spelt it correctly) and years later one ended up as a bowl for my little sisters cat. anyway, the point being that the silence was deafening  :^O

i like everything, well almost everything.. i like japanese, italian and australian english ceramics and glass, but i wish i had the diana now. and i also wish i'd been smart enough to keep what i'm fairly sure was a Merric boyd  bowl out of murrumbeena..

Message 14 of 17
Latest reply

Nice one Bsal!

There is nothing quite like making broad generalisations on a subject you admit to knowing nothing about. hehehe

In one fell swoop you have managed to strike a line through almost 200 years of Australian made commercial and studio pottery from Jonathan Leak through to Les Blakebrough.

Not bad work for one afternoon.

๐Ÿ˜‰

Tim

Message 15 of 17
Latest reply

That's all right, Bsal, at least I know you won't be bidding against me.:^O

Message 16 of 17
Latest reply

Considdering the age of our history compared to other countries, we are very proud and protective of the art works that have been created, and want to make sure they are preserved for posterity.

Australin art is unique. You don't have to like it, but don't make deragatory remarks about it on an Australian Forum.

Try to look at antiques of the roccoco times, and unless you see the makers mark, you can not tell if it is english, french or russian.

Erica :-x

Message 17 of 17
Latest reply