I collect
Westclox Pocket watches made in Canada
Scalextric made in Australia
Plastic model kits of RAAF aircraft
Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: what do you collect

I collect books--latest is books from the Gippsland area-were i live.

Have 50 years of other collectables in a storeage shed.

Trends change-with books -stamps and coins all the time.

Recently retired -will sell off some of the items i dont care about-------so i can eat .lol...............Richo.

Message 11 of 23
Latest reply

Just lately, I've started collecting defects. Smiley Indifferent

Message 12 of 23
Latest reply

Hmm, I know we are told that our collectables have a potential to increase in value, but somehow I think a defect is going to remain constant. It costs eBay nothing, and can cost a Seller a great deal. Smiley Sad

Message 13 of 23
Latest reply

I had a wonderful coin collection. My father was a bank manager and as well as bringing me home lots of interesting stamps, he brought home foreign currency, that he bought from the bank for me. I do not think there was ever anything particularly worth much, however, I loved going through my little linen bag of coins.
Another thing our father did for us three girls, was to buy three each of all the new decimal currency as it was produced. They came home in a little plastic see through box, lined in blue satin. Unfortunately, our paper money only went as a $10 dollar note each!
I had also collected one each of all the 50 cent pieces since first minted, including the round ones. Which were soon changed because blind people found it very difficult to differentiate between them and the 20 cent piece.
It is all gone now however. I was broken into and they cleaned me out. (even my groceries and freezer items!) nothing has been found and the police say it will all be long gone. Such sadness some people cause. Well, happy new year and may 2015 be an excellent one! Bree
Message 14 of 23
Latest reply

Poison bottles from here and around the world. Poison bottles have more variations , colours and shapes than any other bottles that exist. I find them very facinating. Especially bottles embossed with Poison and crossbones & skull.

Message 15 of 23
Latest reply

I've been a bower bird and loved old china and pottery all my adult years. Also Australian pottery. I have a large collection (200 or so) of advertising fans- the cardboard ones that were given away in the 1920s by the big stores mainly; but I really value Australian fans, printed here. I have a quite a lot of USA ones too, but the Aussie ones are special to me. Also I love advertising ephemera. I collect stickers (put them in scrap-books) and the labels off garments or handbags if they are interesting enough, and trade cards which have the 'wow' factor. There are fantastic designs occasionally.  All these things which are normally thrown away. But there is often real artistic merit to them, and I find them all interesting. Don't know what will happen when I'm gone! Am heading 80 years old but really I am only 30 y.o. in my head- still a bit under-done!

Message 16 of 23
Latest reply

G'day Ken  Nice to meet an ephemera enthusiast. I am sure you have someone eager to inherit (in the FAR future) your Australian pottery collection. Your Australian ephemera would of course have a value - particularly the promotional fans - but if you are more concerned with their survival, I would suggest you contact NOW your State Library or even the National Museum in Canberra. It is true that they have zillions of donated items that they have no room to display but it is the collections like yours, of disposable and fragile items, that will often fill a gap in the collections. Particularly if you have done some research on the background of the items. If they politely say "No thanks" perhaps there may be local museums who may be interested. I am not quite your age but have the same problems with our extensive collections - not that we have anything much that I feel would be of museum interest. However neither of our daughters have the slightest interest in any of our "stuff" - consequently every new acquisition now gets a numbered sticker - a database has categories like "Family piece (with provenance)", "very nice - you may want to keep" (with brief description and provenance), "worth sending to the auctions", "give to charity", "junk" (hope not too much in the last categorySmiley Happy). Working our way through labelling the existing collections is proving to be a massive task. Smiley Sad

Are you a member here? http://www.ephemerasociety.org.au/

Message 17 of 23
Latest reply

No Siddies I am not a member. Also I am female- my ID relates to where I live! ....So that is the reason for bower-birding! Love Moorcroft, Royal Doult, All Australian pottery, playing cards and their design (going back to early 1800s), old Valentine cards, and special wedding cards and that sort of thing. One love tumbles into another catergory, so am dispersing lots of my things now. Have given my family quite a bit , and Willing some special things too to them, can't part with them yet!. Epherema is such a diverse catergory! Love Pro Hart too, got a small collection of his paintings and signed prints etc. So I have found this topic quite interesting to read about, and enjoy other collections and interests! 

Message 18 of 23
Latest reply

I collect Australian and US Disney comics - ducks for the main part,plus old Australian comics and fiction horror books.The books must be a minimum of 1st trade or limited edition or I will not touch them.ATM I am going through my Australian book collection and listing it on here.I also have stamps - Disney ones and a few Aussie movie posters

Dave

Message 19 of 23
Latest reply

Dave- I used to be mad on Buck Rogers comics and had a pile of them. Don't know what happened to them though over the years as my parents moved around quite a bit. that was in the 1940s. They would be valuable now!

Message 20 of 23
Latest reply