eBay Plus scam, and unauthorised account activity

We recently noticed a $49 deduction from our bank account, being eBay Plus annual membership fee. We have never joined eBay Plus, as a matter of principle. This is for an eBay account we seldom use, or monitor. On closer inspection, we noticed that a new device had signed in to that eBay account last October, from a location (Graceville, NSW) that we have never visited and have no connection to. 

Are we being scammed? Possibly by eBay? 

After numerous chats to and fro, uploading screenshots and eBay messages, the best eBay is able to do is provide instruction on how to cancel eBay Plus membership? To the best of our knowledge, we haven't saved as much as a single dollar by virtue of this bogus eBay Plus membership. 

This will be reported to the ACCC, for sure. 

Just wondering, has anyone else had this issue NOT TAKEN SERIOUSLY by a wilfully incompetent eBay?

They charge like wounded bulls because they're so smart ... but when it comes to complaint management, they act like ignorant morons incapable of understanding the most basic of issues.  

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

The location often reported can be somewhere totally remote from where you actually were at the time,  depends on how your internet provider is setup.   I am in Victoria,  but it often says I am logged in from WA, where my provider is based.

Are you sure you didnt make a purchase from that account, and signed up,  it is one of those obscure options.

I highly doubt Ebay would be logging into random accounts and signing people up for Ebay plus,   logic says otherwise.   And as to some random hacker,  they wouldnt sign you up and do nothing else, they would have ripped you off for other purchases.

Do you have a cat who lives with you and they have made a purchase and signed up.  Said jokingly but seriously that it was another family member,

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

Obviously you have already report this to your bank, had you card cancelled (it is an ongoing fee)

Many many peoples say they have'nt signed up

So if you really did'nt sgn up for the free trial of eBay Plus, then some scammer who accessed your account obviously thought this was a good scam rather than racking up any other kind of purchases

Quitesure the eBat base level cs staff get hundreds of calls a week from people saying they did'nt sign up

Have you actually spoken to a supervisor?

Have you reported your account has been compromised?

The ACCC are not going to take you seriously if you have not done any of these things to protect yourself

And as mentioned, the 'location' has squat to do with it

Many sites show my location as random places nowhere near me

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

What do you think ACCC are going to do.  In all likelyhood you or someone on your account accepted a free trial, failed to read the T&C's and failed to cancel.

As far as Graceville is concerned, proof of nothing.

Not all that long back someone came to the boards asking why they were apparently located on some uninhabited island.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply