2 YEAR OLD MAZDA 3 CLUTCH GONE

We think.  DD had to get her mazda 3 towed 70kms last night as she couldnt' get it in gear.  The road service guy was called

and he said it's probably the clutch.    It's still under warranty but have googled and it looks like a common occurance with this

model.  Warranty doesn't cover normal wear and tear.    There were suggestions that mazda won't acknowledge that there is a part

used that is failing.   Anyone had this occur or similar.   Won't be happy to pay over $1,000 for a Mazda fault.

tip toe through the tulips
Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: 2 YEAR OLD MAZDA 3 CLUTCH GONE

Sue Mazda.......require them to prove that clutch failure at  under 50K miles is "normal" wear and tear.  Any jury whose members drive stick shifts will find for you.........

Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

What do you expect it's a mazda. Put a for sale sign on it and get rid of it. Buy yourself a toyota they go forever.

Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

@ufo_investigations wrote:

What do you expect it's a mazda. Put a for sale sign on it and get rid of it. Buy yourself a toyota they go forever.

Yeah, Mazdas don't last. 

Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

could be clutch, if hydralic, could be low or empty on fluid. does the clutch pedal feel right, have the correct tention when depressing it? If it's just losing fluid, you should be able to fill to the full mark, leaving fill cap off, pump pedal several times to bleed the air out, replace the cap and go a few more miles depending on how fast your losing fluid.

I had a truck that would lose fluid if it set for a month or longer, but if driven every day, it worked fine and didn't lose any.

I've got suspention problems with this Ranger I just bought, Tires had uneven wear and while putting the other u. sed ones i got at a tire shop on, i noticed that the bar that goes across was just hanging not connected to anything, the links that hold it up are both broken. Guessing that why it was wearing the tires unevenly. Before I take it to a shop to have it fixed, I want to get this

eBay item number: 371257802829

Fun Factor : Now you have a choice in chat, factor that
Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

@the_bob_delusion wrote:

@ufo_investigations wrote:

Yeah, Mazdas don't last. 

I've got an 18 year-old one that seems OK.

Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

Never had any pronlems with my Mazda. Had it for 12 or so years.
Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

The Mazda 3 gets top reviews from car experts .......ie  Paul Grover on 3aw and other reviews I've seen.

You won't have to pay a cent I don't think as its still under warranty but it would be interesting to know if this is a common defect with them. Ask on whirlpool. 

Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

nothing on the recall page

https://www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ssl#q=recall+mazda+3+clutch

Clutch plates are specifically not covered on the Mazda warranty the OEM clutch and pressure plate suppplier would

have had a warranty on their item governed by years/kms driven. that warranty carries through to the end purchaser

although Mazda would need to be the intermediary.

The exedy example I copied and pasted below only gives 20 000kms or 12 months

https://www.mazda.com.au/owners/warranties/new-vehicle/

8. What is not covered by this warranty?

8.5 Maintenance costs

Normal maintenance services such as cleaning and polishing, lubrication, replenishment or replacement of oil, fluid, coolant, and replacement of worn wiper blades, fuses, filters, brake pads, brake and clutch linings, spark plugs, globes, drive belt(s), clutch disc, glass, trim, headlights, battery, tyres, wheel alignment and balance, related adjustments and the like.

Australian Consumer Law – Warranty against defects

• Our goods come with guarantees that cannot be excluded under the Australian Consumer Law. You are entitled to a replacement or refund for a major failure and compensation for any other reasonably foreseeable loss or damage.
  • You are also entitled to have the goods repaired or replaced if the goods fail to be of acceptable quality and the failure does not amount to a major failure.
  • This Warranty gives benefits that are in addition to other rights and remedies under a law in relation to the goods to which this Warranty relates.

Example Exedy clutch warranty below

• Warranty
    This warranty statement is current and in force from 11 April 2012.

1. Subject to the exclusions outlined in this warranty, all products are warranted against faulty material and/orworkmanship for a period of twelve (12) months from the date of installation or 20,000 km, whichever occurs first. EXEDY may extend the warranty period at its discretion but any extension will be substantiated by written confirmation directly from EXEDY.

http://www.exedy.com.au/terms-of-sale

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

just to cheer you up a little more I think some of the 2012/13 models have  concentric slave cylinders.

Make sure your daughter changes that as well or the gearbox will need to be removed again to replace it.

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 10 of 22
Latest reply