A Little Bit More

Today is an excellent day for small improvements. Whatever is working for you, find a way to improve it just a little. There’s no need to make a huge change, just a small one, something you can do right now.

Small improvements can add up over time into big accomplishments. Look around you. Consider the work you do each day. Think about how you could do it just a little bit better.

In a marathon race, each step the winner takes is just a little bit longer and a little bit faster than each stride taken by the 100th place finisher. Yet over the course of the race, that small difference adds up in a big way.

Do just a little bit more today, and tomorrow too, and each day after that. Anyone can make just a small improvement, and that can make a big, big difference.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

A Little Bit More

Seriously - thank you - the best laugh all day. 

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

A Little Bit More

I actually did a bit more - now totally stuffed. 

Bum down - glass of white - tomorrow is another day. 

Will clean the mess I made today - tomorrow. lol

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

A Little Bit More

In my field of work it was hard to appreciate the little achievements some of the clients would make over time.

Clearly, most staff wanted faster, bigger improvements that, in hindsight, were unrealistic and beyond the abilities of the clients. Yet so often those little achievements would build into a major achievement in the future. I think it is important to recognize each tiny step and what it could lead to. I agree with you - what we do in the moment may not look like much, but it can turn into something greater if it is one step in your path towards a personal goal.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

A Little Bit More

Recovery after injury is all about one small step at a time … until that step is secure and strong enough to go on to the next small achievement.

When I learn a new piece of music, it’s one section at a time, until I have a larger section memorised, and so on. Trying to memorise the whole thing in one go would be ridiculous.

In solving a tricky equation, each piece has to be solution before the entirety can be solved. (At least, that’s my approach.)

In my view and in my experience, learning and achievement come from taking a “one bite at a time” approach, and - equally important - not being afraid to make a mistake during the process. Only when we know what’s wrong have we begun to achieve what’s right, or so I have found.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

A Little Bit More

I recommend this book:

Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell | Goodreads

premise: it takes 10,000 hours to become proficient at anything....

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

A Little Bit More

Trying to achieve big goals in one step is an illusion, and like all illusions it will ultimately cause disappointment and frustration. It will also be a waste of time when we have to start all over again when our castle in the clouds collapses.

Twn: I have that read book. Excellent.

Countess: Mozart is believed to have memorized and transcribed Allegri's Miserere after hearing it only once at the age of 14, although some doubt the story is true. I believe it is possible that it is true, but of course he is an exception, and exceptions don't disprove the rule. I am sure you have heard of it anyway (I think I also mentioned it in the Classical Music thread): https://www.classicfm.com/composers/mozart/guides/mozart-allegri-miserere/#:~:text=When%20he%20retur....

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

A Little Bit More

onestepatatime.jpg

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

A Little Bit More

Was she being ironic?🤣

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

A Little Bit More

arctoph_49
Community Member

Excellent post, celestial, and great answers from most people.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply